branches & spanish moss from pine trees

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
gui

branches & spanish moss from pine trees

Post by gui » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:30 pm

Hi, i recently went to florida, and i picked up some branches with spanish moss from a pine tree. can anyone tell me if it's safe for my hermit crabs?

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: branches & spanish moss from pine trees

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:54 pm

Fresh pine is not recommended in animal enclosures. It isn't toxic, but the fresh sap causes severe irritation and when enclosed in a small space like a crabitat it will build up to unsafe levels. I am sure they are beautiful but it isn't good for the crabs. :(

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
gui

Post by gui » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:15 am

thankyou for your reply, what a shame, the spanish moss would look awesome hanging in my crabatat.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:45 am

Can you remove the moss from the branches? Spanish moss is a type of tillandsia which are safe for hermits though they will probably eat it so it may not last long. You should be careful though as it is often loaded with chiggers and ticks in the wild!

Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:44 pm

Mine love Spanish Moss!! :) I have taken it and zapped it in the microwave for a short bit to kill bugs. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
gui

Post by gui » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:21 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Mine love Spanish Moss!! :) I have taken it and zapped it in the microwave for a short bit to kill bugs. :)
[*]

Code: Select all

[img][/img]
THANKYOU!! THAT WAS MY NEXT QUESTION. I checked out your store, will definitely go back to shop. thanks again, Gui.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:26 pm

Yw! Glad I could help! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

jclee

Post by jclee » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:57 pm

wodesorel wrote:Can you remove the moss from the branches? Spanish moss is a type of tillandsia which are safe for hermits though they will probably eat it so it may not last long. You should be careful though as it is often loaded with chiggers and ticks in the wild!

I have used Spanish moss that I bought at a local garden store. If you are worried about bugs, you could always check out domestically grown moss.
You can see my critters here:
https://www.instagram.com/profjcscritters/