Day and Night Heating

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Crab beginner

Day and Night Heating

Post by Crab beginner » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:50 pm

I am new to crabbing and recently acquired two new crabs. They are heated by an 8 watt UTH on the side of their tank. The warm side stays around 79 and the cool at 72. Do I need to leave the heater on at night, or turn it off for a good temperature drop? Does it even matter?

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Day and Night Heating

Post by wodesorel » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:53 pm

They don't do great at temps lower than 72, so no night drop would be recommended in this case.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:14 pm

I try to keep my tank at the same temp night and day, or at least as close as I can get it.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

GreatVegetable

Post by GreatVegetable » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:54 am

Crab beginner wrote:I am new to crabbing and recently acquired two new crabs. They are heated by an 8 watt UTH on the side of their tank. The warm side stays around 79 and the cool at 72. Do I need to leave the heater on at night, or turn it off for a good temperature drop? Does it even matter?
Hermit crabs are cold blooded which means they rely on their environment for body temperature regulation, so ideally you want to keep your habitat in the mid 70s to low 80s range, emulating their native habitat.

However, I'm sure that in the wild they do experience these slightly below average temperatures during the colder months of the year, but trying to emulate would be unnecessary, because these would obviously be months of "survival" for the crabs, making them less active, and probably more likely to burrow to "hide" or regulate warmth.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

GreatVegetable

Post by GreatVegetable » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:57 am

GreatVegetable wrote:
Crab beginner wrote:I am new to crabbing and recently acquired two new crabs. They are heated by an 8 watt UTH on the side of their tank. The warm side stays around 79 and the cool at 72. Do I need to leave the heater on at night, or turn it off for a good temperature drop? Does it even matter?
Hermit crabs are cold blooded which means they rely on their environment for body temperature regulation, so ideally you want to keep your habitat in the mid 70s to low 80s range, emulating their native habitat.

However, I'm sure that in the wild they do experience these slightly below average temperatures during the colder months of the year, but trying to emulate would be unnecessary, because these would obviously be months of "survival" for the crabs, making them less active, and probably more likely to burrow to "hide" or regulate warmth.

Just to clarify, they do not do well with heat stones or powerful heat lamps directly overhead.
Your best option for heat in my opinion, is an UTH (under tank heater) placed along the side of your tank.
DO NOT place UTH under the tank for crabs, because of the risk of overheat during molt.

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:15 am

I used to keep my UTH off at night, back when I was a inexperienced crabber.
Now all the heat sources never get turned off, ever.
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!