How often do you redecorate your tank?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
SuggestedContent

How often do you redecorate your tank?

Post by SuggestedContent » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:12 am

I just upgraded my crabitat from a 10g to a 20g, and the crabs are loving it! All this extra activity got me thinking, maybe I should be rearranging/redecorating my tank more often.

What do you guys think? How often do you redecorate your crabitat?

Pumpkincrab

Re: How often do you redecorate your tank?

Post by Pumpkincrab » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:36 am

I move things around every 1-2 weeks but every month I do a more deep-clean and redecorate.
Hi! Feel free to check out TheGourmetCrab here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheGourmetCra ... ugg_market
Owner of 4 purple pincher hermit crabs in a 55g tank.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:33 pm

Deep cleaning is not needed unless there is an emergency like a flood or bacterial bloom.

I hardly ever change things around. I might add a piece of cholla or something, but don't rearrange everything.`
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Dad-One

Post by Dad-One » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:14 pm

SuggestedContent wrote:I just upgraded my crabitat from a 10g to a 20g, and the crabs are loving it! All this extra activity got me thinking, maybe I should be rearranging/redecorating my tank more often.

I’ve been experimenting with different layouts and materials in my crabitat.

Generally once a week I change things up while I’m cleaning up any buried or spilled food from the week .

The second story never moves. But the ramps get changed out about once a week. The shell shop, food and lagoons stay in their locations and don’t move.

The long egg crate ramp the boys didn’t use except to check on the moss it once had. So it was taken out. The plastic bridge I made for Crusty has been reused as a climbing platform. The cholla log moves around in the tank, but never leaves it.

I added the barrels on the upper floor to see what the boys would do with it and it has become their favorite hide/climbing space.

I did change my prefab lagoons (Flukers brand) out for a couple food storage tubs for more depth and swimming space after I found the boys didn’t use them (they couldn’t submerge, so never really used them) and one had a leak.

One of my tubs was swapped for an old fishbowl that has become one of the pools, complete with bubble stone.

Let your creativity run wild. Your crabs will love what you create. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:30 am

I absolutely love their new pool, what a great idea! This looks awesome! I’m always wanting to rearrange too and add new things, but was never sure I should...

HappyHermit0916

Post by HappyHermit0916 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:23 am

SuggestedContent wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:12 am
I just upgraded my crabitat from a 10g to a 20g, and the crabs are loving it! All this extra activity got me thinking, maybe I should be rearranging/redecorating my tank more often.

I clean/tidy up my crabitat weekly and monthly will move some things around or add new things:)
I wouldn't move things around every week because that would be pretty stressful on the crabs:) :crabbigsmile:
29 gallon crabitat and 20 gallon long crabitat
My hermit crab YouTube channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJWuO8Urh5X94yipfRNiVRA
RIP Lola, the best hermit crab
Love you Reynie, Piper, Opal, Ridley, and Jasper

mool

Post by mool » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:37 am

My tank has been set up since 2010. I "redecorated" it when I moved. That's it.

hermitsrus1966

Post by hermitsrus1966 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:47 am

crabbycasey wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:30 am
I absolutely love their new pool, what a great idea! This looks awesome! I’m always wanting to rearrange too and add new things, but was never sure I should...

Yea, same. I think rearanging once a month is perfect as like already said once a week might stress them. I also like to add food dishes sometimes in different areas to make it seem more like foraging? I dont know, I also love to give the crabs large objects so they can carry it off and others can pick pieces off, though I am trying to cut down on this as it molds and they sometimes bury it. I am starting to take things out (like my cholla wood as it is somewhat submerged and I put it under the tank to dry. I plan on cleaing them with saltwater soon, but have been busy lately.