uth side mounting

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
quinnn12

uth side mounting

Post by quinnn12 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:24 pm

Hi!
I am going to mount my uth on the side.. and I was wondering if you are supposed to have it below the substrate level or above?

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: uth side mounting

Post by JoeHermits » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:38 pm

It’s a personal preference. Having it below the substrate line will dry out the substrate faster but can help boost humidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Serendipity

Post by Serendipity » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:06 am

I would put it above the sub because if it is under it could burn your crabs while molting.
My three purple pinchers: Coconut- Male, medium. Mango- Female, medium. Blueberry- Female, small.

I'm not lazy- I'm just highly motivated to do nothing. ;)

mool

Post by mool » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:04 am

Depending how how much sub you have and how big your UTH is, you're likely to have a bit of overlap. I try to keep mine above the sub, but sometimes a portion overlaps the sub by 1/2" or so.

HermieBingo

Post by HermieBingo » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:58 am

I put mine actually on top of the lid because I want to simulate their natural environment best I can. In the real world, the sand is cooler than the air, and hermit crabs sometimes go into the sand to cool off. But, that is just my personal preference. Do what you think is best, though. :)
My only crabbie Charolette :)
R.I.P. Bingo

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:34 pm

Tori wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:06 am
I would put it above the sub because if it is under it could burn your crabs while molting.
No, if your UTH is on the back or side of the tank, and it goes below the line of the substrate, it will not burn your crabs.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
quinnn12

Post by quinnn12 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:39 pm

Okay thank you all! I have side doors so my substrate has to be lower in the front than in the back (so ill be keeping their bowls and such at the front so they have more room to dig in the deeper part) so one of my uths will be able to be above the substrate line and one will be about half and half. Hopefully that makes for a good balance!

Serendipity

Post by Serendipity » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:11 pm

curlysister wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:34 pm
No, if your UTH is on the back or side of the tank, and it goes below the line of the substrate, it will not burn your crabs.
Ok. I heard that from this YouTube channel, so it is good to know that that is not true.
My three purple pinchers: Coconut- Male, medium. Mango- Female, medium. Blueberry- Female, small.

I'm not lazy- I'm just highly motivated to do nothing. ;)

mool

Post by mool » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:44 am

Mine huddle up against the heater for days at a time; I don't think they are getting burned or they would move! Heat with two UTH's runs around 76 degree with therm located opposite the heaters, so the tank is warm enough. They just like to cozy up against the warm glass.

crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:05 am

Mine do that too, right up against the glass in the hot corner where both uths meet! I had also read they could be burned, but when I saw that, I figured they’d move if it were too hot...so I quickly ruled that one out. One of my guys intentionally lodged himself between the back of his climbing rack and the uth sided glass. I thought he was stuck, so I moved him…but then minutes later he was back wedged in the same spot right up against the heater. It was so funny! He was just hanging there like that...completely tucked in his shell, just chillin and suspended at the top of the tank! He stayed there for hours, lol. Crazy crabs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
quinnn12

Post by quinnn12 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:14 pm

haha same! where i have my current one temporarily the crabs hand out in the hut right next to it which i read means it is too cold for them so i am getting two much bigger ones and a thermostat for their next tank and hopefully that will boost the heat to where they need it