Fungus?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Fungus?

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:09 pm

Found these growing in the eco earth. It is only in this section of the tank (or at least of the viewable portion of the tank). Initially I ignored it because I thought it was part of the plastic plant under eco earth. But I arrive home from vacation, and now they are bigger and deeper in the substrate.
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/12eu ... sp=sharing
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Fungus?

Post by curlysister » Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:55 pm

Sorry, I'm not sure what I'm looking at?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:13 am

curlysister wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:55 pm
Sorry, I'm not sure what I'm looking at?
You are looking at the substrate at the edge of the tank, and the white “bulbs” throughout the substrate are what I am concerned about
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:56 am

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/186I ... sp=sharing
Here is a better picture, with the growing plants circled. They grew significantly since last night, and they seem to look a lot like growing mushrooms.
Crabbing for 4 years!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:02 am

Yeah, they're a little brown mushroom. I've had them many times, doesn't affect the crabs but man those set my allergies off something awful! I just pluck them out as I see them forming or popping above the substrate, before they have time to release spores. They are quick growing as you've seen. I never really have problems with having more than a few and they've never taken over, but I do have springtails who think they are candy!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:31 pm

Thanks! I plucked them out, apparently those on the window were the only ones present, at least of where I dug.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:08 am

They have been spreading rapidly. It doesn’t seem like the crabs are willing to dig more than 2 inches deep in the substrate anymore either, and one has went 2 years without molting. Could they be avoiding digging due to the mushrooms?
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:43 am

Any ideas anyone?
Crabbing for 4 years!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:33 pm

If it's that bad then a full clean out is going to be the only way to get rid of it. I'd even go so far as to bleach the enclosure/decor to kill off any remaining spores before rinsing well and refilling. That, and using saltwater to mix the new substrate, will prevent it from returnjng as much as it's possible - but generally once it's in the environment it'll come back at some point.

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:29 am

wodesorel wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:33 pm
If it's that bad then a full clean out is going to be the only way to get rid of it. I'd even go so far as to bleach the enclosure/decor to kill off any remaining spores before rinsing well and refilling. That, and using saltwater to mix the new substrate, will prevent it from returnjng as much as it's possible - but generally once it's in the environment it'll come back at some point.
Do you think rubbing alcohol could also work?
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:32 am

Better question, how long do the spores take to die off in an empty tank? I can temporarily move my 2 crabs to a 10 gallon
Crabbing for 4 years!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:06 pm

Spores can last anywhere from a few months to a few years depending on the species. If you just wanted to wash the tank out well and refill with saltwater treated substrate it should be enough. I just tend to go nuclear if I have to clean rather than worry about having to do it again, but I hate cleaning in the first place.

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:22 pm

Would rubbing alcohol kill them instantly?
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:29 pm

Also, I meant removing everything in the tank and leaving it be, to let the spores die.
Crabbing for 4 years!

jclee

Post by jclee » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:00 pm

As Wodesorel said, fungi spores can live for a looooooong time, so waiting it out with the tank empty is not a great option if you want to get rid of them. I get mushrooms in a couple of my very high humidity enclosures (like my dart frog and mourning gecko enclosures), and I actually like them. I think they're pretty and they're not hurting anyone, so I just leave them be. But with mushrooms, the bulk of their body is underground mycelium. Whatever amount you see, there is much more underground.
You can see my critters here:
https://www.instagram.com/profjcscritters/