What can I safely use to insulate my UTH?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Chickadee23

What can I safely use to insulate my UTH?

Post by Chickadee23 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:30 pm

I recently received my Ultratherm UTH. I applied it to the back of the tank, just above the substrate line. It’s the full width of the tank, so it goes all the way across, but it is not bringing the temperature up enough. The instructions I received with it said you could use 6mm polystyrene insulation if needed, but I’ve been searching online and can’t find it anywhere. What is another good, safe alternative?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrabbyLover77

Re: What can I safely use to insulate my UTH?

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:46 pm

You can take cardboard, and wrap it completely in aluminum foil (shiny side out). Then duct tape that over your Ultratherm. My house doesn't get too cold, so I just covered my uths in aluminum foil, shiny side toward the tank, duct taped over the uth.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
Chickadee23

Post by Chickadee23 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:03 pm

[mention]CrabbyLover77 [/mention]thank you very much!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:52 pm

Yw!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

KrakenHunter

Post by KrakenHunter » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:56 pm

If it is a ZooMed type, then nothing. Ultratherms you can use insulation type foam board, silver tape, towels, blanket, really anything you would keep yourself warm with, except heating blankets, as the temp cannot be controlled and could cause hot spots that could hurt the crabbies.

I have a ZooMed 50-60 gallon heat pad that fits perfectly on the outside back of my 10 gallon crabitat. The inside 2 sides I have a walls made from coconut fiber and pink foam board on the outside. Also my aquarium came with a screen top, so I wrapped pink foam and cut it to fit the lid with foil to help keep in humidity also helps trap some heat.

I live in Missouri where temps are extremes at times and a house that has the same temp problems.

With this method I have been able to keep crabitat to a toasty 80-82 degrees (F) and humidity at 80%.

Ultratherms are the best option, but can be hard to find correct size.