Cold room

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Jaydick484

Cold room

Post by Jaydick484 » Thu Jul 11, 2024 8:17 am

Hi!
I just adopted a bunny, and I need to cool down the room my crabs are in. This is posing a problem, as I now have an ac running all day/night.

Does anyone have experience with keeping the room cold enough for another pet to survive, like a bunny, yet keeping the tank hot enough for the crabs to be normally active? I've heard not to put the tank by a draft, but does anyone actually keep a room in their house hot just for the crabs? That seems unlivable and impractical. I don't mean a spare room, I mean a usable room with traffic, like the children's playroom.

Should I just add more and more heating pads, or move the tank to a room with no traffic that I can turn the ac off during the day, like a bedroom and just cover with a blanket at night while we cool it down?

I currently have 2 heating pads along the back, covering across the entire span. I have covered the top with a silicone mat, and draped a quilt over the top and two sides. I opened the front, so they have light and I can actually see my pets :wink: The temp used to be around 80F before the ac. Now it's down to 76F, and they don't really run around as much at dusk or dawn like they used to.

Altaccforhermitsssss

Re: Cold room

Post by Altaccforhermitsssss » Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:36 am

You cou
Last edited by Altaccforhermitsssss on Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Altaccforhermitsssss

Post by Altaccforhermitsssss » Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:38 am

You could alwase use a heat pad or heat lamp near the tank to heat it up, but hopefully someone else will chime in with more suggestions. 76 degrees is totally fine though, the hermit crabs might just be adgusting to the new temp

Topic author
Jaydick484

Post by Jaydick484 » Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:51 pm

Thanks. I did order a third pad for the side. It's better than covering the entire tank with a blanket. I'll take losing a side view for a few extra degrees.