Sand Everywhere: Normal?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
pheonixlily218

Sand Everywhere: Normal?

Post by pheonixlily218 » Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:09 pm

I recently swapped out the substrate in my crabitat from the marketed hermit crab sand to the recommended 5 parts play sand/1 part coco fiber because I came across this website and learned that what I was using isn't safe for them. But now there is sand everywhere. In their food bowl, all over the driftwood, all over their hides, all over their extra shells, in their water dishes, and all over them. Is this normal? Is the sand too wet? Do I need to do anything so it won't stick to them and everything in the tank?

5 teeny crabs in a 30 gallon tank, mesh lid with saran wrap over it to keep the humidity in and an LED light that is on 12hrs/day
5 parts play sand/1 part coco fiber substrate (10 in deep on one side, 6 in deep on the other)
2 water dishes, 1 salt water, 1 dechlorinated water (both deep enough for them to soak)
Food dish (egg shells, freeze dried shrimp, unsalted popcorn, fresh fruits and veggies) changed every day/every other day depending on what is in it
Several hides and driftwood for them to climb
Hygrometer: between 75-85%, usually steady at 80%
Thermometer: 75 degrees
UTH on the back of the tank

I am probably overthinking it but I lost a crab during his first molt and don't want to lose another. I'm fairly certain it was because I was using a substrate that was not safe and it wasn't deep enough.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Sand Everywhere: Normal?

Post by curlysister » Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:53 pm

Yes, the sand all over everything is pretty normal.
You can check your substrate moisture by putting something like a chopstick down into the sub, right along the glass. When you pull it out, you should not see any water pooled in the bottom of the hole, and the sand should maintain the shape and not collapse in on itself.
You are correct that most sand marketed to hermit crabs is calcium sand, and is not safe for them.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers