Eco Earth vs. Exo Terra Forest Moss

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author

Eco Earth vs. Exo Terra Forest Moss

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:13 pm

I'm looking to add a moss pit (or something like that) to my new tat, and was wondering if Exo Terra forest moss is okay to use. I know EE is very good for crabs, but the pet stores around here don't carry it. They do have the forest moss though, and I'm really wanting to use that. Can I???

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:32 pm

i dont know what to say about using ee as a moss ... i use ee as a substrate and fluker's all natural moss for my moss pit ...

limeslide

Post by limeslide » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:00 pm

Eco Earth has rocks in it!!!!!!
If all mankind were to disappear, the world would regenerate back to
the rich state of equilibrium that existed ten thousand years ago.
If insects were to vanish, the environment would collapse into Chaos
"
-E.O. Wilson

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:11 pm

Lime, I've never had a batch of Eco-Earth with rocks. :wink:

As far as moss and EE go, moss is moss and Eco-Earth is more of a soil-like substrate because it is kind of like dirt (but it is made of coconut husk). :)

For a choice in a moss pit, go with a type of reptile moss. :D This can be a brand such as Exo-Terra or Fluker's. :wink:

limeslide

Post by limeslide » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:32 pm

Kilimanjaro wrote:Lime, I've never had a batch of Eco-Earth with rocks. :wink:

As far as moss and EE go, moss is moss and Eco-Earth is more of a soil-like substrate because it is kind of like dirt (but it is made of coconut husk). :)

For a choice in a moss pit, go with a type of reptile moss. :D This can be a brand such as Exo-Terra or Fluker's. :wink:
When i set up my 29,I used the 3 pack of EcoEarth.It didn't sponge and we has to break it in pieces.We found 2 rocks in there.
If all mankind were to disappear, the world would regenerate back to
the rich state of equilibrium that existed ten thousand years ago.
If insects were to vanish, the environment would collapse into Chaos
"
-E.O. Wilson

poncho

Post by poncho » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:41 pm

I use flukers and the crabbies do fine and I also used some frog moss that looked a little different than the flukers, I think you should do fine with the forest moss :wink: here is a pic of the frog moss I bought from jacksImage
and here is the flukers if you can see itImage
wife to very patient husband,mommy to three little ones
PPs Es Violas
Strawberries
Blueberries
Indos

littleraindrop87

Post by littleraindrop87 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:52 am

limeslide wrote: When i set up my 29,I used the 3 pack of EcoEarth.It didn't sponge and we has to break it in pieces.We found 2 rocks in there.
wow you're unlucky to find rocks inside your EE. :shock: but i guess not all EE has unwanted things in them. There are always anomalies. I did a read a post here that someone found a rusty nail in their EE pack too! but He/she removed the nail and the soil around it that was affected and used the EE fine.
Rugs: Ribbs, Raiko, Racer, Ramica,
Indos: Rum, Reizin, Reffalump
Violas: Ritsuke, Risako, Rekka
Straws: Rumbo, Rhivas, Rice, BFG

Call me Fallow

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:20 pm

thanks - I feel so stupid for thinking EE was a type of moss (argh!) I' think I'm just going to do the moss pit with the Exo Terra, if you all say it's okay. :) Thanks again!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:03 pm

limeslide wrote:Eco Earth has rocks in it!!!!!!
i've never had a brick of EE with any rocks or anything else other than what it's supposed to be .... however even if there were a few rocks in it, what would it matter really considering hermit crabs normally live outside with dirt, sand and rocks? i dont think it would hurt them any considering some people use gravel as a substrate (i wouldn't) not only that but some people put rocks as decorations in their tats too...

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:09 pm

well, I got the forest moss, and dummy me soaked an ENTIRE brick - needless to say, my moss pit could have been as big as my tat, but I'm just going to dry the rest of it out and save it for "something". The crabs love it already, and thanks again. :)

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:25 pm

Perhaps for our good services we could be rewarded with pictures? :D

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:27 pm

naturally :D - look in the pics forum. I have pics of my brand spankin' new tat! I'm REALLY happy with it - so nice to be bigger than a 10 gal.!

Topic author
Bob & Souix's Mom

Post by Bob & Souix's Mom » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:30 pm

I don't get EE in pet stores in my country. I acutally have to go to a specialty orchid store or landscaping store to get EE where it is sold as "Coco Peat" it's the same thing. Good luck !

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:49 pm

I will say that I've noticed all my crabs seem to prefer digging in the moss (especially my fiddlers), so I'm really glad I put in the pit. Wish I had room for more!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:27 pm

I don't know how it happened, but I found mosquitoes in my tat! They were on top of the moss, so I don't know if there were eggs in it that hatched when I soaked it or what, but I was (and still am) disgusted! I'm sure it's just a fluke, but still! Will they hurt the hermies if more of them come, or should I just kind of shoo them out when and if they come again. [smilie=sick.gif]