What to give up, moss pit or saltwater pool?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Viperfish

What to give up, moss pit or saltwater pool?

Post by Viperfish » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:58 pm

Ok, recently I've been having really bad humidity problems(99%) and it barely hit me. I've got three things making my humidity skyrocket, one being the EE, the other the moss pit, and finally my recent pool. Now, I prefer EE to other substrates and I really can't change out substrates as Dave and Jerry are underground, destressing.(plus I figure it won't make much of a difference what kind of substrate it is seeing as it's going to be moist either way).

Now what exactly should I get rid of, the moss pit or the saltwater pool?

By the by, I did calibrate the hydrometer. It's two percent too low.
(Off topic, but my sis scares me sometimes. She just told some woman trying to cheat us out of money off.)

NotaMallard

Post by NotaMallard » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:22 pm

If you have another container you can use for salt water that still facilitates shell water exchange I'd replace the pool with that, simply because my own hermies looooove their moss pit.
Another thing to consider is taking out the moss and letting it dry out, then putting it back wherever it was and only mist it slightly, to keep it from being so soaking as I expect it is now.
I've got a zoo in my house. I should charge admission.

Topic author
Viperfish

Post by Viperfish » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:58 pm

NotaMallard wrote: Another thing to consider is taking out the moss and letting it dry out, then putting it back wherever it was and only mist it slightly, to keep it from being so soaking as I expect it is now.
It's not soaking. :plbbt::

But that is a good point, come to think of it the only crab who really enjoys the pool(at least from what I've seen) is my straw.

dbolack

Re: What to give up, moss pit or saltwater pool?

Post by dbolack » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:44 am

Mr. Blue Viperfish wrote:Ok, recently I've been having really bad humidity problems(99%) and it barely hit me. I've got three things making my humidity skyrocket, one being the EE, the other the moss pit, and finally my recent pool. Now, I prefer EE to other substrates and I really can't change out substrates as Dave and Jerry are underground, destressing.(plus I figure it won't make much of a difference what kind of substrate it is seeing as it's going to be moist either way).
Can you alter your venting on the tank to allow a little more humidity to escape?
Last edited by dbolack on Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:17 pm

I used to have a saltwater pool, and I realized VERY soon that is was not worth it. For one thing, the crabs don't tend to get in it as much as in freshwater, and my filter caused it to splash on the glass, which left these terrible salty deposits that were impossible to clean off. I'd keep the moss pit - mine LOVE the one I have (one is actually molting in it right now). Just get a small bowl or something for the saltwater - serves its purpose without being a hassle. :)

limeslide

Post by limeslide » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:15 pm

Ah, but Saltwater IS a necessity. If you have a straw, keep the pool, take out the moss.
If all mankind were to disappear, the world would regenerate back to
the rich state of equilibrium that existed ten thousand years ago.
If insects were to vanish, the environment would collapse into Chaos
"
-E.O. Wilson

poncho

Post by poncho » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:57 pm

I agree with limeslide~ my crabbies have a salt pool and swim often..I also have a fresh pool that they just drink from :)
wife to very patient husband,mommy to three little ones
PPs Es Violas
Strawberries
Blueberries
Indos

Topic author
Viperfish

Post by Viperfish » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:01 pm

limeslide wrote:Ah, but Saltwater IS a necessity. If you have a straw, keep the pool, take out the moss.
annnnddddd that is my predicament. I'm thinking of getting a somewhat smaller pool and taking out the pit. How small would be too small for a medium straw?

(I do understand saltwater is important, but I meant making switching to a salt water bowl as opposed to an actual pool)
Last edited by Viperfish on Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

limeslide

Post by limeslide » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:02 pm

as long it can completely submerge itself in salt water.
"
-E.O. Wilson

Topic author
Viperfish

Post by Viperfish » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:07 pm

I'll just turn the old moss pit into a larger shell shop, and use the old shells shop to hold the freshwater bowl and maybe a hidey. I'll get something around half the size of my old bowl, everything will hopefully get better.
Last edited by Viperfish on Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

poncho

Post by poncho » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:17 pm

look at him and make sure what ever you use he can fit in and go under the water..go with a small tupperware :)
wife to very patient husband,mommy to three little ones
PPs Es Violas
Strawberries
Blueberries
Indos

megamelfina

Post by megamelfina » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:06 pm

If you could I would keep both and get a mesh top. My crabbies love the saltwater pool (especially at night...I can hear them splashing around in there) and they love the moss pit to sleep in during the day. If you could get a way to vent your tank then you could have the best of both worlds! :lol:

limeslide

Post by limeslide » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:57 pm

I don't have a lid so my humidity stays constant :lol:
"
-E.O. Wilson

Topic author
Viperfish

Post by Viperfish » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:17 pm

megamelfina wrote:If you could I would keep both and get a mesh top. My crabbies love the saltwater pool (especially at night...I can hear them splashing around in there) and they love the moss pit to sleep in during the day. If you could get a way to vent your tank then you could have the best of both worlds! :lol:
I do have a mesh top. I ended up taking out the saltwater pool(and replaced it with a much smaller pool) and keeping the moss pit. I'm replacing the hydrometer when ASAP, as it is getting a bit old. If the humidity improves enough, I'll get a new pool.

limeslide

Post by limeslide » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:48 pm

Can your straw still completely submerge? Moss does make alot more humidity that Salt Water.
"
-E.O. Wilson