Waterfall are great...until...

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author

Waterfall are great...until...

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:19 pm

...they flood, little by little. I can't even tell where the water is coming from! I've taken them out and let them run on the table, with no leaks. But after about a month in the tank the sand was soaked! I had to mop up the bottom of the tank. And replace the sand. It smelled so bad. Like a plugged drain. You know that really dank rotten smell...ugh. So, I took both waterfalls out. Re-did both tanks. That's when I found a molter in the moss pit! I had to finish...the tank was awful. He's completely white! Hopefully his purple and red coloring comes back!

Anyway, the waterfalls are not working out. They're great, but they soak the sand. And meanwhile my humidity was constantly in the 50's! I'll have to decide what to do quick. :?

JediMasterThrash
Jedi Tech Support
Jedi Tech Support

Post by JediMasterThrash » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:30 pm

I found the substrate around my waterfall was saturated for two reasons.

1. The constant splashing of water, even though it's minute, it's happening continuously all the time the pump is running. So it keeps splashing water into the surrounding substrate, little by little.

2. The crabs would tip the fountain over, causing the pump to pump the water all out into the substrate. Even if this only happens once (a month...), that's still like a pint of water dumped into the substrate, and it takes a while to dry that up.
JMT.

Stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking crab-herder since '92.

megamelfina

Post by megamelfina » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:18 am

I found the same thing. My waterfalls splash a lot, and sometimes my crabs will drag things right underneath where the water hits, so that it splashes even more! I don't mind it too much - it dries out fairly quickly in my tank back to its sand castle state.

poncho

Post by poncho » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:30 am

Liz~ you may want to take a shallow rubbermaid with stone or something and set the waterfall in that, that way you can keep the water in one spot and dump it as needed :)
wife to very patient husband,mommy to three little ones
PPs Es Violas
Strawberries
Blueberries
Indos

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:19 am

Poncho, I don't have a waterfall, but that sounds like the perfect solution!