moving

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
lkl

moving

Post by lkl » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:37 pm

I wasn't sure where to put this.

I have a 40 gal tank with about 50lbs of sand as a habitat for 4 med-large crabs. There is a possibility that we will be moving from CA to TX soon (job transfer).

Do you think I could move the crabs? How would you recommend doing it? Or should I just find a new home for them here in CA before we move? I enjoy the crabs, but the idea of moving them seems like too much trouble. For one thing, I'm worried about lifting a glass bottomed tank holding 50lbs of wet sand.

Is this isn't the correct forum, please tell me where to post this.

Thanks, Linda

Chompman

Post by Chompman » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:11 pm

Do you have a smaller tank such as a 10 gallon you use when you do deep cleans or for iso?

Most of us simply place them in there and cover them up as best we can when moving like you will be and empty out the main tank so you can move it easier that way.

Topic author
lkl

Post by lkl » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:40 pm

I do have a small 10gal iso tank, and could use that. But what about keeping temp and humidity up and constant? We're talking 2-3 days in a car.

Or maybe we'll fly. I'm not even really sure at this point. I have three cats and 4 hermit crabs. I'm thinking a car would be cheaper, but flying would be less stress.