I just bought ....

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author

I just bought ....

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:28 pm

beaked moss.

its called Zilla Lizard Litter terrarium moss..

is beaked moss okay..it was all i could find..

is spaghnum of frog moss better?

Topic author
Chompman

Post by Chompman » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:14 am

I did a few searches on beaked moss and it looks like many people stay away from it since it comes from coniferous type trees and since their needles and wood are toxic to hermies that people stay away from it.

Spagnum moss is safe and it seems many people said the same thing about frog moss here but I have never seen it myself so if you see it you can try it out and see if they like it.

Some other ones you can use are terrarium moss, hiawatha moss and sheet moss.

Make sure you smell the moss to see if they have dyed it or if you soak it in salt water before nuking it a bit and it turns the water green from all the dyes do not use it.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:01 am

Beaked Moss is the only moss I've ever used since I started crabbing, they love it and I've never had any problems with it. When I prepare it, I just shake it out and pick all the pine needles and twigs out of it, put it in a bowl with some salt water and microwave for about 45 minutes to make sure there are no bugs or mites in it, squeeze out the excess water and let it cool. It lasts a long time and is completely chemical and dye free. This is the type of moss that the experienced crabbers here recommended for me to use when I first joined. The Crabbage Patch sells it on their website. It's really good moss! I recommend it.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:44 pm

so you've never had any problems??

I kind of don't wanna risk it in case i have especially sensitive crabs.. but i have trouble finding any other kind of moss..

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:36 pm

Never had any problems with it at all. I've used it for three years and many people here at HCA have "said" they use Beaked Moss. Unless something happened to prove that otherwise that I missed reading about! Like I said the Crabbage Patch sells it on their website, and I'm very sure she wouldn't sell something that would hurt your crabs or it could hurt their reputation!!!!
I hope someone else will reply to this and back me up, because if I've been using something bad for my hermits all these years because of bad information from this website, then I really need to know as soon as possible so I can get it out of my tank. This moss was recommended to me when I first joined HCA, and I've been using it ever since. I've never had a crab die or have any bad molts because of it.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
Willow

Post by Willow » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:14 pm

I use Zilla Beaked Moss, too :D . So there's your backup. I can't find it at PetCo anymore, though, so when I run out (I bought a bunch on sale once), I'll have to find another source. Bummer.

Topic author

Thank you

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:12 pm

Thanks guys your making me feel better but i wish ALOT more people would also say they use this...im pretty cautious about my habitat.

But thanks for the comments. :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:09 am

Tell ya what, you'd probably get more replys if you create a new thread with the subject containing the words "Zilla Beaked Moss"
You can always do a search in the archives, whole lot of info there too.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:31 pm

Okie wrote:Tell ya what, you'd probably get more replys if you create a new thread with the subject containing the words "Zilla Beaked Moss"
You can always do a search in the archives, whole lot of info there too.
okay ill do that.. thank you!

Thanks everyone!!