Growing Live dandelion plants in tank?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Crab*Fanci

Growing Live dandelion plants in tank?

Post by Crab*Fanci » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:38 am

I read the edible flowers list on Epicurean Hermit. Danidelion roots, leaves, and flowers are supposed to be safe so could I plant one in my tank? My tank is all EE so I think it would grow... Opinions?
Crabbing Since Feb 09'
Owner of 9 PP's: Fanci, Mirtsie, Clair de Lune, Rhiannon, Louie, and 4 unnamed.

spidtat

Post by spidtat » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:23 pm

I would not see why not but don't be surprised if they never grow b/c the crabs will more than likely eat them before they get a chance to grow. Most sprouts and beans grow well too but again the crabs tend to eat them rather quickly as well.
1 Rugs 2 Indo's, 2 Viola's, 4 Straws, 11 PP's, and 10 E's= 1 Very happy owner

hermiegirl

Post by hermiegirl » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:16 pm

If you do get them to grow, keep in mind how quickly it spreads once it goes to seed.

Chompman

Post by Chompman » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:02 am

hermiegirl wrote:If you do get them to grow, keep in mind how quickly it spreads once it goes to seed.
Well if you spray your tank with salt water or mix the substrate with that I doubt they will grow other then the specific area you set up for them.

But I would love to see a good 1/3 of a decent sized tank taken over by these and for the crabs to hide in. :D

Topic author
Crab*Fanci

Post by Crab*Fanci » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:26 pm

maybe I'll transplant them from my yard to the tank. My family doesn't spray our plants so it would be safe.
Crabbing Since Feb 09'
Owner of 9 PP's: Fanci, Mirtsie, Clair de Lune, Rhiannon, Louie, and 4 unnamed.