2nd floor help

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author

2nd floor help

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:46 pm

can someone tell me an easy and cheap way to make a 2nd floor. Or make a homemade 1 out of household materials.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:06 pm

I use a $7 corner shower caddy from walmart that already has the suction cups attached - just stick it on, and add something to climb up and you're done! (I have a cholla wood branch, some plastic vines and a piece of driftwood all placed for them to climb up to second floor) They also have a smaller shower caddy with suction cups for only about $3.

If you wanted to go more 'home made' maybe try a strawberry basket that you could attach with suction cups from the dollar store or make a table like apparatus out of legos - the four legs would rest on the bottom and the table top would be your second floor.

My second floor is the favorite hangout for all my crabbies. It's filled with moss and shells. They love it!

Good luck!

Topic author

I use a $7 corner shower caddy from walmart that already has the suction cups attached - just stick it on, and add something to climb up and you're done! (I have a cholla wood branch, some plastic vines and a piece of driftwood all placed for them to climb up to second floor) They also have a smaller shower caddy with suction cups for only about $3.

If you wanted to go more 'home made' maybe try a strawberry basket that you could attach with suction cups from the dollar store or make a table like apparatus out of legos - the four legs would rest on the bottom and the table top would be your second floor.

My second floor is the favorite hangout for all my crabbies. It's filled with moss and shells. They love it!

Good luck!

Topic author

Good luck!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:13 pm

k thx I think I'll try the home made thing 1st

Topic author
hermiegirl

Post by hermiegirl » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:15 pm

I cut dowel rods (I think the 1/4"-1/2" size) to the width of my tank. Put rubber stoppers on the ends, wedge them in place, and put a sheet of acrylic on top that is wrapped in fish net. The fish net is just for something to grip up there. Then add a route up. All told, I think it was like $4 total and was sturdy enough for any size of my crabs. It makes a great shell area because they can't bury the shells.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:30 pm

I might try that if the other 1 doesn't work, but whats a dowel rod

Xena

Post by Xena » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:54 pm

My fantastic 2nd level is built with plexi glass, sealant and choya wood for support. This is where all the extra shells are kept as well as a hut and a water dish. Every new crab starts here to change shells and get acclimated to the humidity before they venture off to the rest of the tank. To the far right of the tank, is the shower caddy/moss pit:

Topic author
hermiegirl

Post by hermiegirl » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:35 pm

matthew909 wrote:but whats a dowel rod
A dowel rod is a wooden rod that you can get in the craft section of Wal-Mart for like $.50-$1. They have varying thicknesses.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:52 pm

ok thx

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:00 am

Mine was about $15
I haven't put it together yet but I bought a Drawer organizer ($4 at Bed Bath and Beyind) 2 suction cups ($3 each) and then I went to Micheals (or prety much and craft store and bought some "decorative fishing net" for $4
SO that equals $14

I am going to hot glue the suction cups to the container and then some how find a way to get the net on there, probably hot glue