Hides for jumbos?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
crystal

Hides for jumbos?

Post by crystal » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:39 am

What do you guys use for hideys for jumbo crabs? I have 2, and they rarely dig down to hide. They can fit under my bonsai, but they don't ever try. They worry me, the little buggers.
6PPs, 10Es

Mrs. G

Post by Mrs. G » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:15 am

Crystal, my jumbos love my deep moss pit!!! it's attached to the side of the glass... I have a log they climb up on and crawl right in.... there in their all the time!!! and it adds lots of humidity.... or you could put a pile of damp moss in a corner and they should hide in there!!!!! let me know how it goes!!!!! :D

Mrs. G :crabbigsmile:
owned by a spoiled amazon parrot a yellow lab amber a golden retriever captain and 2 pps zeus and posieden,70 gallon fish tank and a ecosphere. one 13 year old son and my hubby

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:22 pm

I've got a fairly large piece of cork bark leaning against the back of my 'tat. My jumbo, Tank, often goes back there. Actually, that's pretty popular with all my crabbies.

I've also got lots of plastic plants (the ones that look like ivy) stuck to the sides and back of the 'tat and he'll go back behind them, too. He sometimes pulls them down but I just stick them back up.

Tank is down for a molt right now and I haven't seen him for about a month so all the others are using his favorite places.

crabbymommie

Post by crabbymommie » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:28 pm

I have a plastic igloo house for bunnies. Mine love it.
visit me at http://hermitcrabcolony.blogspot.com/

37 crabs and counting. 75 gallon and a 40 breeder.
Mother to an anazing 4 year old boy. My husband thinks I am obsessed with hermies but I love them. Who can say no to those cute little eyes staring up at you? No, really, `cuz I can't.

Xena

Post by Xena » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:48 pm

I currently have one jumbo in the moss pit and the other is in one of those giant ghourd hideys...my husband took the Dremel and made the doorway even larger and it now is easier to get into. It is big enough to fit 2 jumbos no problem.

tojo

Bonsai?

Post by tojo » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:24 pm

You have a bonsai tree in your tat? HOW COOL! :)

Topic author
crystal

Post by crystal » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:53 pm

Its not a real bonsai tree, just a plastic replica. Allthough I am considering putting some live plants in there. Neither of my big guys like the moss pit, or even climbing for that matter. I was hoping for something on the ground for them. I do have the vines, and they do tend to drag those around with them to wherever they want to hang out.
6PPs, 10Es

Hermit_of_Hermit_Crabs

Re: Hides for jumbos?

Post by Hermit_of_Hermit_Crabs » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:04 pm

crystal wrote:What do you guys use for hideys for jumbo crabs? I have 2, and they rarely dig down to hide. They can fit under my bonsai, but they don't ever try. They worry me, the little buggers.
Check petdiscounters.com. They usually sell an extra large cocohut and they can usually house larges and jumbos. My jumbo PP takes up well over half of one of my two extra large cocohuts.

eregel

Post by eregel » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:32 am

It's definitely a problem! My jumbo LOVED one of the coco huts until he changed shells, after which he wore it like a hat for awhile.... So far my best solution has been a really big resin log aquarium decoration from Walmart.

The other thing that works semi-well is a corner cave I made by using a resin turtle dock resting on overturned terracotta planters - it doubles as my shell shop.

The reason I say it works semi-well is that it's a little too open - they don't get that closed in feel they like so much. I just this weekend did a cleaning, and filled the "cave" with moss - they seem to be enjoying it, but I am seeing more of the jumbos than usual, so I'm not too sure they're making much use of it.

Further complicating matters, my best baby boy Lewis insists on inhabiting whelk shells, and just moved into an AWFULY big channel whelk shell, which is just so awkward I'm never going to find a hide that really works for him. Fortunately, he's more of a climber than a hider.

Post by Guest » Sat May 02, 2009 7:09 pm

I bought a toadhouse in the garden section of Walmart. It is supposed to go outside in a flowerbed, but works great and looks really cute and fits nicely in the middle of my 55 gal. tank. And the crabs love it!

Post by Guest » Mon May 04, 2009 8:40 pm

I got this for Puppy who is not a Jumbo but pretty big and doesn't really fit in the cocohut so I got him this. It is pretty open but all 6 of my crabs can and will go in it at one time. I got it from Petsmart for $10.

Post by Guest » Thu May 07, 2009 9:59 pm

I bought a log hut used for reptiles in the reptile section in PetSmart. My guys love it!

Post by Guest » Tue May 12, 2009 8:07 pm

my all-time favorite addition to the 'tat is an upside-down dollar store plastic basket. Using regular scissors, I cut a door hole in the side. the hermies can use it as a cave/hidey, but the best part is that it adds surface are to the tank. by turning it upside down, the bottom becomes a level surface. I use it as the buffet :D this also really helps keep the food in one spot - really helpful when feeding fresh/potentially stinky food. :wink:
you can see it in this pic (next to the built in pool, it looks like a hill, kinda)
and here was my first attempt in the 10 gallon - worked great there, too:

{{edited to add the pics - once I remembered where they were
:roll: }}