MOLD !!

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
addicted2hermies

MOLD !!

Post by addicted2hermies » Wed May 06, 2009 12:14 am

so I thought adding the needed humidity was going to be easy, now i have mold & mites :( HELP! what can mold cause to the crabitat? can ithurt the crabs? I want to deep clean but I have a molter or 2 :/ what can I do to prevent mold/mites? & what is mold/mites most likely to be found on?
mommy to 9 PP's [hermie; posideon; limie; chance; friday; spidy, notorious, wisdom and davie] & 4 E's [rust-E; storm-E; star-E & big-E]

:( RiP speed-E [PPS] :(

crabbing since december 2008

Post by Guest » Sun May 10, 2009 4:01 pm

As soon as the molting crab comes up thoroughly clean the tank. Mold is NOT good.

Post by Guest » Sun May 10, 2009 8:20 pm

Mold is bad. For now, you can spot clean and remove as much surface mold as you can, then take about a table spoon of vinegar and a cup of water and spray or pour a bit where the mold was. It should keep the spores under control, but not too much.

tojo

Molter

Post by tojo » Sun May 10, 2009 8:37 pm

I've had success in carefully displacing molters into the isolation tank. In fact they will be better off there. Carefully dig around the molter, pick him up sand and all, and gently place him in a pre-dug hole in isolation. Make sure the sand has a good moist consistency and carefully cover him over.

Deep cleans are important especially if mold and bugs are involved.

Good Luck!

~ Tojo :)