getting a new tank.. help :)

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
addicted2hermies

getting a new tank.. help :)

Post by addicted2hermies » Mon May 11, 2009 8:13 pm

I found a 20 gallon high tank & a 20 gallon long tank for the same price! what will be better for the crabs?
mommy to 9 PP's [hermie; posideon; limie; chance; friday; spidy, notorious, wisdom and davie] & 4 E's [rust-E; storm-E; star-E & big-E]

:( RiP speed-E [PPS] :(

crabbing since december 2008

crabbymommie

Post by crabbymommie » Mon May 11, 2009 10:54 pm

I have a 20l and I wish I would have got a high. That way I could have added a second level so they have more area to climb. If you still want the length then get a 29 gal
visit me at http://hermitcrabcolony.blogspot.com/

37 crabs and counting. 75 gallon and a 40 breeder.
Mother to an anazing 4 year old boy. My husband thinks I am obsessed with hermies but I love them. Who can say no to those cute little eyes staring up at you? No, really, `cuz I can't.

hermiegirl

Post by hermiegirl » Tue May 12, 2009 7:06 am

As Crabby said, a long has more floor space, but it is pretty short for second lvls. A high has about the same floor space as a 10g, but lots more vertical space for climbing. So it kind of depends on which your crabs prefer. I've had crabs that just did not like climbing, so I used a 20l for them since they didn't want the second lvl anyways. My climbers all prefer lots of height to explore, so a 20h is preferable.

Topic author
addicted2hermies

Post by addicted2hermies » Tue May 12, 2009 9:42 pm

hmm my crabbies like to climb but they climb now in my 10 gallon on the coco fiber background up to the lid of the cage. i think im going to go with the long b/c i had a 2nd level in my 10 gallon and they never used it +/ is the long the same height as a 10 gallon?
mommy to 9 PP's [hermie; posideon; limie; chance; friday; spidy, notorious, wisdom and davie] & 4 E's [rust-E; storm-E; star-E & big-E]

:( RiP speed-E [PPS] :(

crabbing since december 2008

kat89447

Post by kat89447 » Wed May 13, 2009 12:29 am

I have a 20L and have a second level. They love it. My second level isn't super high, but it is about 4 inches above the sand and they love to have the quiet dark corner under it to dig in. I have the main shell shack upstairs and their favorite place to dig in and molt under. I love the taller tanks, but I was afraid to have it so top heavy on the cabinet in case my cat would jump on top and send it over.