Question

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author

Question

Post by Guest » Wed May 27, 2009 8:17 am

I have been using sandbox sand for my crabs & I noticed that walmart has colored sand.Like hot pink & green.Is it safe to use this?

poncho

Post by poncho » Wed May 27, 2009 8:20 am

I know a few have tried it..
viewtopic.php?t=64742

check all this out...I personally would not use it :wink:
wife to very patient husband,mommy to three little ones
PPs Es Violas
Strawberries
Blueberries
Indos

Topic author
hermiegirl

Post by hermiegirl » Wed May 27, 2009 8:51 am

Don't use anything but play sand. While the coloring isn't harmful to humans (obviously), it is bad for the crabs. And colored sand probably doesn't act the same as far as holding humidity or staying moist, etc. If it ain't natural, I wouldn't use it.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed May 27, 2009 3:04 pm

I used it for the first 3 months of crabbing and it was great as far as holding humidity, it never dried out either on me. I stopped using it because I wanted a more natural look to my tank so I thought purple sand was no longer fun to use and not a natural look. I loved how soft it was too. I would use it again as a substrate if I couldn't find regular playsand if I had to. Others are very skeptical of the sand but I used it for 3 months and all 3 crabs I had at the time had their first molts in that sand and they are still alive 1 year later.