Guide to making a 10g Crabitat/ISO

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Bekka16

Post by Bekka16 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:23 pm

I always a bunch of fake vines at the dollar store next to where I work. I can get about 5 feet of vines for 1$. They also usually have bags of 4-5 usable shells in the craft section. They always have a 2 pack of food dish type shells and a 5 pack of snail shells and a 6 pack of frog shells. All for 1$ each. I also got the moss for my pit there too.

Topic author
JediMasterThrash
Jedi Tech Support
Jedi Tech Support

Post by JediMasterThrash » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:51 pm

Big MaC wrote:1)your sponges take up too much of your water dishes AND CAN CARRY BACTERIA HARMFUL TO LAND HERMIT CRABS IF THEY ARE NOT CLEANED REGULARLY
The sponges are cleaned and rotated each time the water dishes are refilled.
2)substrate- is it deep enough? It doesn't look very deep but it could just be the angle of the photos. (I SECOND THIS (ALL ISO TANKS SHOULD HAVE AT LEAST 5" OF SAND)
The substrate was purposfully not deep enough to prevent new crabs from molting (this was a new crab ISO, I tend to use a small 1/2g KK as a single-crab sick iso because I can stil it inside the main tank so it maintains the same humidity/temperature).
3)I'm a little concerned that your "corner-hole method" could lead to too moist substrate if not careful. (AND IT COULD EASILY CAUSE' FLOODING IF YOU DON'T WATCH IT)
The amount of watering described shouldn't lead to flooding. But it's definitely something too keep an eye on. You can water more often if it seems dry, or less often if it seems too wet.
4)I thought having the UTH on the bottom was a bad idea? (IT CAN BE AND I PREFER SIDE MOUNT BUT OK...)
Unless the substrate is at least 4" deep, side mounting wouldn't help much since it won't transfer enough heat into the substrate.
5)probably just a matter of opinion but I would place the thermometer and hygrometer a bit lower. (AND IN THE MIDDLE)
Youre getting closer
6)I don't see any extra shells. (THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!)
Shells were added later, but good one
7) NO LID.... YOU NEED A LID TO KEEP HUMIDITY IN.
Lid is in the 2nd picture.

Welllll, it's kind of a trick question, but the thing that is wrong with the tank is that the humidity guage was broken :P stopped working a couple weeks before I took the pictures.
JMT.

Stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking crab-herder since '92.

TheCrabbyTabby

Post by TheCrabbyTabby » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:12 pm

JediMasterThrash wrote: The substrate was purposfully not deep enough to prevent new crabs from molting (this was a new crab ISO, I tend to use a small 1/2g KK as a single-crab sick iso because I can stil it inside the main tank so it maintains the same humidity/temperature).
Why wouldn't you want a crab to be able to molt after getting it? That is just like telling someone to put their infant on its back/front to prevent SIDS. Like PPS, no one knows exactly what causes SIDS and how to prevent it 100%. Prevention is all based on personal preference. I know that preventing crabs from molting after purchase is a widely accepted fad in crab keeping but I wouldn't recommend doing that. It just sounds senseless to me. In my opinion, not being able to dig down and de-stress contributes more to PPS, than being able to do so. Here is a thread about it:

viewtopic.php?t=77739

Also, the individual ISO KK needs to be bigger, at least a gallon. This allows for more substrate depth in case the crab feels like digging down under and molting during the ISO period. I, however, only ISO when the crab has been dug up from molting, has mites or has streaked/gone naked. I never ISO a healthy looking, active new crab. I just give them a salt water bath and then place them in the 'tat. This is to wash off anything that the other crabs may catch from the newbie. Since I have forgone the ISOing of newbies for the sake of them being newbies, I have had no cases of PPS.
Please don't breed or buy while shelter pets die! Opt to Adopt!!
I know an awful lot about hamsters, betta fish and many other animals so don't hesitate to ask me if you have an animal related question!!!

Topic author
JediMasterThrash
Jedi Tech Support
Jedi Tech Support

Post by JediMasterThrash » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:16 pm

I agree, the old advice about not letting new crabs molt is debatable.

Also, the set of new crabs I had was all teenies. Usually teenies are the only size I buy, then I get to watch them grow up. And usually several teenies molt in the 2-in substrate durign their month-long ISO.

This article and pictures were also from 2 years ago, things change. I now have deeper substrate in my ISO.

In my case the individual KK doesn't need to be bigger. I only ISO molters if I dig them up during a deep clean, and they are already mid-molt. Or if they surface molt right after a deep clean. In that case, they don't need any area to roam or bury. They will be sitting still for the next 2 to 5 weeks. As soon as they start moving around again, it's almost time to go back to the main.

The KK is plenty deep enough. I fill the KK with 6in deep sand, and create a large deep moist pit in it and then place the molted crab and all of their exo in the deep pit. It provides them the humidity and isolation, being surround on all sides by moist sand. I'll also cover the top so the light doesn't shine right in. Then I can watch their progress as they eat the exo. I'll leave some food on the top. After several weeks they'll harden start moving again and you can tell when the food is disturbed.
JMT.

Stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking crab-herder since '92.

JangoCatt

Post by JangoCatt » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:58 pm

I dug up a nearly completed molter last week during a deep clean and used a medium size Gladware storage bin to ISO him until he finished. I put about three to four inches of moist coco-fiber in it along with his exo and an extra shell. I cut a hole in the top of the lid to keep air circulating and to monitor him. He sat in the same spot I placed him (a little indention) for a couple of days then started eating his exo. It took about a day for him to finish that, then he changed shells almost immediately. He was fairly active at that point, so we returned him to the main part of the tank (we actually put the Gladware in the main tank to help with temp/humidity) and he has been up and around ever since.

Energizer13

Awesome

Post by Energizer13 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:05 pm

I think that this is an awesome iso tank. It has everything you need! And thanks for the corner- whole tip. I'll try it in my tank to keep the humidity up so I don't have to mist and get everything wet. Thanks for the tip and I hope everything goes great with your iso tank.

P.S - One of my own hermit crabs is molting right now in my iso- tank.See-Ya! :)

McClintockRN

Re: Guide to making a 10g Crabitat/ISO

Post by McClintockRN » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:26 pm

This is awesome! Wish I had seen this Forum/Post before I went out and spend $125 for a setup that I know will still need upgrading soon. Oh well, it's a learning experience. I just want happy hermies :). Thank so much for this advice.

TeamHermie

Post by TeamHermie » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:32 pm

Great! im buying a new 10gal crabital soon so this is great for refrence!

Stormie

Post by Stormie » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:22 pm

Being a newbie, I would have no idea, except... I don't see any :crabbigsmile: in it. :wink:

Stormie

kayla.lageson

Post by kayla.lageson » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:42 am

I was wondering was size of uth would be needed for this tank? And a 20gal tank

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:14 pm

I wish I had seen this before I got my 'crab kit' from the mall, a tiny KK with an inch of dry dirt and a couple shells and three crabs cost more then that whole setup!!!! :evil:
This is seriously awesome :) I don't know if it's stickied, but it should be!
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

Skymall007

Post by Skymall007 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:18 pm

Thank you so much for all the advice! I shall need to get some fake plants and such =) :D
2Es- Sputnikt+Strangeship 1PP- Bluebug
RIP Spatula, HerbitHermenBatSquash, Kiwi, Flour, and Friendlyfeat, Mi6, Grape, Umo, and Upsidedown

sontron

Post by sontron » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:21 pm

One thing to know is that, at least at the my local thrift store, they usually have at least one 10 gal., sometimes several, and occasionally a larger one. Just saying, check there for tanks they are much cheaper. I got a 10 gal plus a wooden stand for 15 dollars!
3 PPs, pluto, hermes, and uranus
2 Es, Poseidon and Atlas
1 Emperor scorpion, Erebus

sontron

Post by sontron » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:20 pm

Don't cover the whole top of the lid. Leave part of it uncovered and try uncovering different spots and amounts until you reach the perfect point when you have humidity and temperature right where you want it.
3 PPs, pluto, hermes, and uranus
2 Es, Poseidon and Atlas
1 Emperor scorpion, Erebus

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:41 pm

Misting is fine, just try not to spray the crabs directly or any wood since getting it really wet can encourage mold. The 75 to 85% range is perfect. Having air flow and misting would be my preference in your situation.
Owner of 4 PPs