Lighting Guide - For Heating and Viewing Your Crabitat

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Tetra4CClyPtus

Re: Lighting Guide - For Heating and Viewing Your Crabitat

Post by Tetra4CClyPtus » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:33 am

Is a Reptiglow safe to use??
I have an aquarium lid

I want to get a dimmer , bluish purple fluorescent light tube so the light won't be too bright and will simulate more of a dusk

So what tube light will I get to have a dim bluish purple to it??

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:21 pm

The lights are all safe to use, but the plastic on the aquarium lid is going to remove the UVB so there's no point in using a Reptiglow. You'll be paying four times as much for the bulb and the crabs won't get any benefit.

Don't buy a purple party or black light. That will harm the crab's eyes.
If you want something bluer and dimmer, then an actinic aquarium bulb would probably be the best choice, but I have no idea what they would look like on a non-aquarium tank: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/artic ... 4#answer_6
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Marleah

Post by Marleah » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:50 pm

AWESOME!!! Thank you, thank you, this has quickly and easily answered my questions! And the light dimmer is a spectacularly great idea.

:idea: NOW... would a similar post about humidity control be possible, please? Or having some of the best posts/suggestions about humidity where they can be easily found?

I have not been able to keep our new larger tank at the right heat and humidity.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:44 am

For a UVB/UVA light, if you use it some days (like 2-4 day per week) would the bulb last longer??
great guide Wod BTW! :D
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

alliciat

Post by alliciat » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:52 pm

I've been planning to get a 10 gallon tank for my hermit crabs.
I was planning on a moonglow bulb for 24 hour light/heat, incandescent.
I've been looking on line at various pet supply places local to me, like petco, for moon glow bulbs that would go in the aquarium hood. The aquarium I am looking at uses two tube style bulbs. I thought the moonglow ones were available in the tube rather than the typical oblong light bulb shape? I haven't found any moonglow bulbs period, let along tube style. Any suggestions where I might find this item?
Being in an old farm house in New England, with cold winters, which means they'll need heating 24 hrs for at least 1/2 of every year, this seems the best solution. I planned to get the aquarium this weekend. But if I can't find a proper heating option, that wouldn't be wise.

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:02 pm

I think you might be looking for these?
http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/ni ... t_lamp.php

I've seen them for sale at Petsmart before. If you want to order online, check out the Shopping Resources as any of the reptile stores should have them. :)

Tetra4CClyPtus

Post by Tetra4CClyPtus » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:07 pm

I am using that purple bulb too .. It's cold in my house and it's doing great sustaining my crabitat temp

Eugooglizer

Post by Eugooglizer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:21 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:For a UVB/UVA light, if you use it some days (like 2-4 day per week) would the bulb last longer??
great guide Wod BTW! :D
Yes, the amount of UV (specifically UVB) emitted by the bulbs decreases with use, hence the need to replace them every 6-12 months depending on the brand, but that recommendation is based on typical bulb usage--every day for the the length of the "daytime" cycle, usually 8-12 hrs. They don't lose effectiveness based on how old they are, but by actual useage. If a UVB bulb is going to be used, I strongly recommend the traditional flourescent tube style that fit into hood or strip fixtures vs. the newer compact/coiled bulbs for many reasons, including effectiveness and safety. Repti-suns (manufactured by ZooMed) and Arcadia (UK-based), are the 2 brands I would strongly recommend.
How's this for muchness?

PPs, Es, Indos, Straws in a 220g habitat

sandra03

Post by sandra03 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:45 pm

what do you recommend re: using a uv with a mesh lid? i have plastic over half the lid for the humidity so i just plunked the clamp lamp with the uv bulb over the plastic since it doesn't get hot at all. but reading this thread again i'm second guessing this. it's fairly thick plastic so it might be defeating the purpose of having the light. i don't know if i can sacrifice the plastic right now until i get the humidity stable
(reading back to my older post here, wow scary to think my humidity was ever that low! i don't remember it being that bad. i don't think it was like that for very long thank goodness. poor spongebob. i freak out now when it drops to 70)

it's a square tank, the heat lamp is in the back left corner uv in the front right. the plastic is along the whole front half and the back right corner i added some foil - the uv started off there but the humidity got goofy so i moved it to the plastic and put foil down since i was out of plastic wrap at the time. when i rearrange i want to move the heat to the back right and the water underneath it, that might help enough to be able to take that square of foil off in the day so i can put the uv there i hope. until then is there any point in even turning it on? the room does get loads of natural light just not a lot of direct sun
DON'T DRINK THE KOOL-AID!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:35 am

LaurenE wrote:Yes, the amount of UV (specifically UVB) emitted by the bulbs decreases with use, hence the need to replace them every 6-12 months depending on the brand, but that recommendation is based on typical bulb usage--every day for the the length of the "daytime" cycle, usually 8-12 hrs. They don't lose effectiveness based on how old they are, but by actual useage. If a UVB bulb is going to be used, I strongly recommend the traditional flourescent tube style that fit into hood or strip fixtures vs. the newer compact/coiled bulbs for many reasons, including effectiveness and safety. Repti-suns (manufactured by ZooMed) and Arcadia (UK-based), are the 2 brands I would strongly recommend.
Just to make sure, if you use it less, then it last longer :?:
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

alliciat

Post by alliciat » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:56 pm

Sorry, but I am confused. Under the lighting guide, it suggests the moonglo for 24 hr heating. So I thought this meant that it was safe to use for 24/7, which is what my Hermits will need, due to seasonal temps and the converted farm house I live in.

"Nighttime Viewing + Heat (also for 24 hour heating)
- Infrared or Red reptile night bulb (incandescent)
--Moon-glow/Blue/Black reptile night bulb (incandescent)"

I was under the impression, as well, that because Hermit crabs are nocturnal, they didn't need daylight specific lighting. That some lights can cause harm (sunburns, etc.) for hermits?

I will have a 10 gallon aquarium tank, with a hood (a regular aquarium hood was suggested for better heating/humidity control), in my crabitat conditions post. It has two light bulb spots. Tube style, incandescent bulbs. I believe it said 15 or 25 watt option for each.

I have no clue now, what to do for heat/lighting? Also, being a very humid environment for the hermits, to remove the plastic guard over the light area would mean the humidity would be in direct contact with light fixtures, correct? I suspect this will lead to more rapic corrosion, meaning having to replace the hood much more frequently, but if, they need UV, that would have to be done, right? Being an old farm house not wired for modern day power needs/demand, having the hood that will allow for two lights, one plug, is perfect.

Also, what wattage is recommended for warmth in a 10 gallon tank? 15 or 25? I don't want to cook my Hermits, but they can't get cold either.

If I cannot get moonglo, what would be a recommended alternative heat light for them, for both night/day cycle. I have one chance to get to the store (have a ride), so I need to make the trip count. Can't get back anytime soon.

A semi-related lighting question:
Since Hermits are nocturnal, and it's critical they have a location where they get regular day/night cycle clues, will it harm/confuse them to be in a room, where lights are on from about 4pm-1:30am? (currently since gets dark early in winter, or gloomy days mean lights on sooner). I use the new style economical bulbs for lighting my rooms.

Also, what size UTH is recommended for a 10-gallon aquarium crabitat?
My current habitat, being small, has a 4 watt UTH, on the side. They seem to occasionally like to 'tuck into' the substrate near that UTH, even though the crabitat is 78-81 degrees.

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:39 pm

~Sorry, but I am confused. Under the lighting guide, it suggests the moonglo for 24 hr heating. So I thought this meant that it was safe to use for 24/7, which is what my Hermits will need, due to seasonal temps and the converted farm house I live in.

You are completely correct! It is completely safe to use 24/7, and my PPs have been with moon glow heating for 3 an a half years non-stop with no issues.

~ I was under the impression, as well, that because Hermit crabs are nocturnal, they didn't need daylight specific lighting. That some lights can cause harm (sunburns, etc.) for hermits?

That is up for debate since they aren't completely nocturnal. If you were to visit a beach in the tropics you would see hermit crabs up and about at all times of the day and night. Because of this it's probably beneficial for them to get UVB lighting, but it's not necessary like it is with tropical reptiles. Since the sun is so strong where they are in the world, even if hermits were hanging out in the shade during they day they would still be exposed to a pretty strong dose of sunlight and UVB throughout the day. (Which is the difference between tropical (shade) and desert (full sun) UVB products.) Now, the longest living crabs in captivity never had UVB lighting and did great, but only a few ever made it to that age. And with strawberries and aussies there have been some great anecdotal evidence that it helps them with their coloration and with them being more active during the day. It's not something you HAVE to have (I still don't), but it would never hurt to have it.

As far as sunburns - possibly. UVB lighting puts out the same spectrum that causes eye and skin damage in most animals including humans. (Essentially it's a tanning bed.) However it's also the only way for captive reptiles to be able to form enough Vitamin D to survive indoors. When reptiles climb too close to the bulbs for too long they can give themselves sunburns, which is why you need to read the direction on the brand you're buying and follow them - they have a "safe" zone where so far from the bulb there is no UVB, and too close there's too much. It takes the right set-up to make it work the way it's supposed to. It's not just a throw it on the tank thing and it'll work like magic.

~ I will have a 10 gallon aquarium tank, with a hood (a regular aquarium hood was suggested for better heating/humidity control), in my crabitat conditions post. It has two light bulb spots. Tube style, incandescent bulbs. I believe it said 15 or 25 watt option for each.

There is HUGE difference between 15W and 25W when it comes to incandescents, and that difference is the risk of melting and fire, and not. Find out for sure before you buy anything. I would also be worried about using a heating bulb as it will run hotter than a regular fish tank light. (In theory they shouldn't, in practice I melted a lid that I had used with a 10W aquarium bulb for years overnight when I put in a 10W moonglow.) If the lid isn't designed with heating in mind, then any plastic nearby can overheat which can cause harmful fumes or melting or even be a risk of fire.

~ I have no clue now, what to do for heat/lighting? Also, being a very humid environment for the hermits, to remove the plastic guard over the light area would mean the humidity would be in direct contact with light fixtures, correct? I suspect this will lead to more rapic corrosion, meaning having to replace the hood much more frequently, but if, they need UV, that would have to be done, right? Being an old farm house not wired for modern day power needs/demand, having the hood that will allow for two lights, one plug, is perfect.

I would recommend a good UTH. I'm using a Fluker's 11x11 for my 10 gallon, and it is so awesome! Perfect 82 in the back, 75 in the front, and the room is around 63-65 in that spot. And I can't get the humidity low enough yet so it's fogging up occasionally through the day since the fishtank lid stays intact. (Never gets above 84% though, it's the draft in the kitchen that's causing the condensation.) An Ultratherm would work the same, but those have to be ordered online.

And then for lighting get a CFL that isn't going to spike the heat too high in the day so that you can enjoy them. I use a 7W daylight color from the home section of Walmart, but I also really love these: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lights-Of-Ame ... s/10448675 because they are bright with a natural daylight color to them. :)

As far as UVB, the plastic would have to be removed, and it could possibly corrode, but not like it would being near a fish tank. If it's the screw-in type fixtures, you can actually replace them fairly easily and cheaply by buying a lamp repair kit from the hardware store. I had to do that once when I dunked the lid in my fishtank. (I got zapped, the lid was fried, but fish aren't grounded and were fine. :) ) I had ever done anything electrical before and it was simple!

~ Also, what wattage is recommended for warmth in a 10 gallon tank? 15 or 25? I don't want to cook my Hermits, but they can't get cold either.

I used to use a 40W on my first 10 gallon, and I had to wrap it in a blanket. Others just need 10W. It just depends on how much heat you need and how cold and drafty the surrounding room is.

~ If I cannot get moonglo, what would be a recommended alternative heat light for them, for both night/day cycle. I have one chance to get to the store (have a ride), so I need to make the trip count. Can't get back anytime soon.

Infrared bulbs then. Personally, I think you should consider getting a true reptile heating lamp and aiming it from the side, so that you don't have to worry about any problems with your plastic fixture since you only get one shot at this. Also, buy two bulbs as they break easily or they could be a dud. (Give the box a gentle shake, if it tinkles, buy another.)

~ A semi-related lighting question:
Since Hermits are nocturnal, and it's critical they have a location where they get regular day/night cycle clues, will it harm/confuse them to be in a room, where lights are on from about 4pm-1:30am? (currently since gets dark early in winter, or gloomy days mean lights on sooner). I use the new style economical bulbs for lighting my rooms.

Not that critical. We're night owls here and the hermits have never had a real day/night cycle since they came to live with us. The lights or TV is always on till midnight or later. (Usually much much later.) Mine are molting and growing and giving me babies. If you're concerned about the light and you can do it safely with whatever heating method you choose, toss a blanket over tank.

~ Also, what size UTH is recommended for a 10-gallon aquarium crabitat?
My current habitat, being small, has a 4 watt UTH, on the side. They seem to occasionally like to 'tuck into' the substrate near that UTH, even though the crabitat is 78-81 degrees.

Biggest that will fit on the back. Mine is a 12W and it works perfectly. It does also have to do with the size of the pad spreading the heat evenly over a large area.

If you're already at 80, why the worry about heating?

alliciat

Post by alliciat » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:55 pm

I worry about heating because they are only in a very temp crabitat that's inadequate (my apt is only 69-70), and the only reason they have 80 average humidity and 80 average temp is because I had to get very creative, but it's not a long term solution:
They are in a plastic reptile style container that is 16x10x5 without the plastic vented lid. Temp/humidity were impossible to get above 70. That was not good. So, what's finally done the trick is that I have a moist-heat heating pad. I put two wet facecloths (changed 3 x day), which are then covered with a piece of tinfoil, which does two things: keeps in heat, and act as barrier to heating pad for moisture even though it can be in contact with moisture. Over the foil is a towel and the heating pad's on that. Inventive but have much happier "ladies" now. Like I said, a temp fix. They also have a 4-watt UTH on the side of tank, but that alone was woefully inadequate.

They need the larger aquarium, and will need a better source of heat along with that.

Thank you very much for the helpful feedback. What is a CFL Light? I bet I know but am having a total brain freeze!Hopefully, it will all work out. Seriously considering the UTH on the back, as option, and the other light bulb in the top of the hood. Then won't have to worry about the hood melting. Perhaps I'll get a back up light, just in case, but if the UTH is adequate, can return that light, that way bases are covered if the UTH is not enough in this drafty house.

A light from the side is not an option due to apt. set up. No place to hang it from, and can't put anything into the walls like a hook :(. However it is near the entertainment center, so if the clamp light is a kind of clamp I can maybe attach to that and have it still reach the side of the aquarium, then that might be an option. Will have to look at them and see.