Guide to making a 10g Crabitat/ISO

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Guide to making a 10g Crabitat/ISO

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:20 pm

Fluctuation is not a bad thing, as long as it never gets too low. They come from the tropics where it's dry and sunny one minute and then soaking wet the next. Perfection isn't required. :) But it should never get below 70% RH.

Wait until you hubby starts getting into crab keeping - I guarantee you'll fall over the first time he expresses worry for the crabs. :hlol:
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

JamesTosches

Post by JamesTosches » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:36 am

Thanks for the great guide. I'm about to get this stuff together and in line. Thanks again.
:crabbigsmile:
"I watch him scurry on the sand, To find a house that’s second-hand.
He crawls in someone else’s shell, And stays because it fits him well.
Imagine if we did the same,Just barged right in and staked a claim
To any empty house that fit,Then settled down to live in it."

<-(-_-)->

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:16 pm

What kind of dish is it? If it's textured reptile dish they will be able to climb out without a problem. Needlepoint canvas is also a handy thing to have, and you can create a ring that circles the edge rather than have it as a ramp that limits the depth. Just so that the little one has a way to get from the bottom back out.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

HermieMomma

Post by HermieMomma » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:36 am

Thanks!!! Helped a lot!!

HermitcrabsRcool

Post by HermitcrabsRcool » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:08 pm

lucky mine costed 140$ and it was 10 gallon like yours.

Priya

Post by Priya » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:34 am

Too bad everything in Toronto, Canada costs twice as much :roll: But this is a very helpful thread. Please sticky this so we can find it easily when in need! I wish I could find a 10g for $10 here (tanks are the most expensive things. The stand for my 20g high alone was around $85 :shock: )
4 Purple Pinchers: Kraken, Lilith, Gilgamesh, Marilith
1 Straw: Tiamat
55g tank with about 10" playsand & EE substrate, fw bubbler pool, sw pool. Densely "planted" with cholla, cork barks and upper levels.

jmck35776

Post by jmck35776 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:28 pm

Okay, I have had my hermit crabs for about a month...unfortunately when I adopted my wonderful new pets, I did not know the care that was invovled so I was totally unprepared when on my journey home I read the care sheet. So thank you so much for the wonderful advice!!! I really want to have safe, happy, and healthy pets and this will help. One question though where do you suggest we buy the very affordable tank and accessories for them? The places I have gone to are a bit more expensive. :/

Yuka

Post by Yuka » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:05 am

if you can, search your local Craigslist. You often find used tanks for very reasonable prices. Or if you can't do that, I use plastic totes, which I document here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=94562

As for accessories, the dollar store is your best friend. My decor, my bowls, even my shells I've gotten from dollar stores. In, fact, the things I only consistently buy at pet stores are my Instant Ocean, dechlorinator, UTHs and the supplies needed for bubbler pools.

Hope I helped! :)
6 Eccentric Es 8 Placid PPs 2 Stunning Straws 2 Intrepid Indos
3 cats: Maya, Hamish and Nala
4 crested geckos: Treeko, Widget, Chloe and Pickle 1 corn snake: Lola

jmck35776

Post by jmck35776 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:04 am

Thank you so much! I will definitely be checking that out! :) I would like to point out that apparantly I was confused about adoption and purchasing, so very sorry! I had no idea you could really adopt Hermit Crabs...I'm learning more and more every day! Thanks again for your help, I will start myself a list and get starting on making my hermits crabs a better home.

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:11 pm

When it comes to cost.. improvise, people! :) A plastic tupperware from the dollar store with needlepoint canvas will cost about 2$ (for two bowls) and makes great water bowls, usually much deeper than any specialty ones you can buy from the pet store. Shells can be found at craft stores, dollar stores, even online. At pet stores shells can be 4$ a pop. Try playsand instead of specialty critter sands or substrates, at 3$ for 25kg, it can easily fill up a 10 gallon with some to spare. Small shower caddies, suction cups, plastic plants, terra cotta pots and dishes, river rocks and even shells can all be found at the dollar store. Nets for second levels can be found at craft stores.. the list goes on. Temp/humidity gauges can be found better and cheaper at hardware stores.
But in a nutshell, if you're trying to save money, don't buy from pet stores! :) You can find a lot of the stuff you need (sometimes better stuff) elsewhere.
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

ShelbyRenaexx

Post by ShelbyRenaexx » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:28 pm

Any ideas for some climbing toys? My crabs love to climb! I would like to make homemade things..

Gisellecatoni

Post by Gisellecatoni » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:12 am

Hi everyone. Thanks for all the awesome info in this forum. My son and I adopted two hermit crabs from the fair.... They give you a horrible info paper on care and I even bought this sad excuse for a habitat! See the pictures below, the Sahara desert is what it looked like when I brought them home. The next picture is the next day after going to the pet store. I'm going to get them a bigger tank tomorrow.

Question: I have one little guy that is active and goes everywhere the other bigger crabbie just hides in his shell and does nothing. I move him near water and he just goes back to where he came from and goes back to hiding. Should I be worried about him? I never see him eat or drink and it's been 3 days since we got them. They have bottle purified water and I checked its chlorine free, and the hermit food from the fair. I also put in carrot shavings, squash shavings, celery leaves - one each night to try and stimulate them... Not sure if either have touched those. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Image that is the before pic.

Image this is the after pic... Will be getting bigger tank tomorrow. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk