Substrate ?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
littletechcrab

Substrate ?

Post by littletechcrab » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:43 am

Just getting back into hermies and a lot has changed. My question is. With sand andcocnut, do you mix the 2 together or do layer the sand and then put the cocnut substrate on top or do you mix them and put more coconut substrate on top? Thanks in advance for your help. I am glad to be a crabby parent again

Sent from my LG-V496 using Tapatalk

CallaLily

Re: Substrate ?

Post by CallaLily » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:06 am

I mix play sand with some cocofiber. Others layer it or split it but the crabs do eventually mix it up anyway. It's up to you. :)

glacier44

Post by glacier44 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:20 pm

I thoroughly mix mine- 5 parts sand to 1 part cocofiber (I use Eco Earth but there are other brands). I make sure it's all sand castle consistency throughout. Not too wet, not too dry- it should hold it's shape when pressed so they can make good tunnels and caves.

I know other people add in oystershell, leaves, and other stuff in small amounts too but I haven't done that personally.
An Alaskan Crabber!
Furry Paws- Best dog sim game ever!
http://www.furry-paws.com/main/index/18

Topic author
littletechcrab

Post by littletechcrab » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:52 pm

Thank you for your quick reply, I have the EE coming tomorrow and will pick up play sand at the hardware store, Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated, I can't believe how things change in 10 years, but I got the bug again and love those little guys.
Please make any other suggestions.