Type of tank

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Moorespride

Re: Type of tank

Post by Moorespride » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:45 pm

Here's what I was thinking need to make my mink up today I am in need of two tanks one for the hermits and one for a leopard gecko. I have a 30/12/12 for one of them. I think the long one is best for the gecko and would like a open front on for my 5 year old and her hermits I just want to make the right choose. I still don't have a table yet to sit this one on or if I get something else for the hermits

daws409

Post by daws409 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:57 pm

What is the depth between the door and bottom? HC need at least 6 in sub. Some need more depending on size and species. It may work if it's at least 3.5. You could always have a "hill" of sub making it deeper toward the back.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:50 pm

Moorespride wrote:
Here's what I was thinking need to make my mink up today I am in need of two tanks one for the hermits and one for a leopard gecko. I have a 30/12/12 for one of them. I think the long one is best for the gecko and would like a open front on for my 5 year old and her hermits I just want to make the right choose. I still don't have a table yet to sit this one on or if I get something else for the hermits
You could go to Lowe's or Home Depot and have a piece of plexiglass cut for you to fit the front of your tank so the sub can be the minimum of 6" deep all around your tank (like soilentgringa mentioned). This way the sub will be the same, allowing more molting space, and also allowing your daughter to open the doors. Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:47 am

I just want to clarify that the minimum sub depth is actually 3 times as deep as the largest crab. But I think it could work fairly well with plexiglass. :)

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:21 pm

Here's an older thread I found in which you can see what they're talking about when they say put the plexiglass in the 'tat. http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 9&t=102094
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/