Uvb

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Uvb

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:35 pm

Really. From what I have read it does the opposite, as it is believed that our crabs can see in the ultraviolet spectra

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:58 am

Yes! I think it's more common with the compact bulbs. I'll see if i can dig up where i found the info.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:19 am

I had read that about the compact bulbs when they first came out, and the reptiles were having conjunctiva problems. Mainly bearded dragons if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Vic Future

Post by Vic Future » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:33 am

Hi,
In Re: scorching crab retnia. I understand that (this is me pouring over tons of stuff i see online not personal exp) the bulb problem of burning retinas and distortion for crabs has been rectified. Either bulb at any strength is safe. (According to the study)

That said i am going to give my boys PLENTY of hides/shade so they can make that call.

The ultraviolet vision makes sense. I know they must have senses we dont. Im going study up on that. Im fascinated w their nightime life.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:25 pm

The old design of the impact fluorescent bulbs have since been fixed, it's s myth that they don't preform as well as the strip still circulates the web due to problems at the start of their production. Either way now is fine!
I personally prefer bulbs and you can screw then in anywhere and gives you the best option of optimum placement where the strips is more like... around about here.
Plus I find bulbs are way cheaper

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

Vic Future

Post by Vic Future » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:29 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:The old design of the impact fluorescent bulbs have since been fixed, it's s myth that they don't preform as well as the strip still circulates the web due to problems at the start of their production. Either way now is fine!
I personally prefer bulbs and you can screw then in anywhere and gives you the best option of optimum placement where the strips is more like... around about here.
Plus I find bulbs are way cheaper

I agree 100% AussieJJ

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Topic author
KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:07 pm

So they will do the job? Ill have to cans for my 75 gal. Does that sound like plenty of uvb for the straws? Also will this zap my humidity?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:01 pm

Not really. It might reduce your humidity by a few degrees but as they don't run that hot, it should be fine. As long as you have at least one source, it will be plenty imo.

Topic author
KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:12 am

Thank you so much for helping me out with this! I will post pics as soon as i get them in!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:17 am

To each's own. :) I love my strip lights. Brightens up the tank more imo. The UVB lights are about 2 degrees warmer.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:38 am

Yeah but UVB you have to replace and for me the strips cost more than the bulbs. Plus one can use Less as an energy efficient and brighter substitute (and require less replacements)

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:16 pm

True - once every 12 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daws409

Post by daws409 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:39 pm

Don't you have to replace compact bulbs every 3-6 months?... My strip bulb was only $23 but that was for a 46" bulb. The 22" bulb was around $15. Also depends on what brand you choose to get

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:20 am

Nah. They have the same shelf life from what I have read. The basically the same, just different shapes. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:22 am

We rescued an anole a few months ago (it had been attacked by something) and used that type of bulb because it was a little cheaper. The very bottom part of the light went out after about a month, but the rest of the light did work. That type of light didn't emit any heat at all. We kept the anole for 3 months until his side healed and he was healthy again and released him. That was my experience with those bulbs. The bulb did come with a UVB card which was cool. To each's own :)