Temp Issues

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

soilentgringa

Re: Temp Issues

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:00 pm

Hi, let me preface this by saying that I did not read through all the comments yet.

For a 10 gallon tank with an insulated Ultratherm on the back of it, the temps should not be as low.

For a more accurate reading I would suggest getting the gauge off of the substrate, because with the cool/wet sub, the temp will read a little lower than it would if it were hanging in a more central location or up off the ground. The dampness on the floor of the tank can cause them to go wonky anyway, and if that happens just take the gauge out of the tank for a day or so to let it "dry out" so to speak.

I would make sure the tank isn't near any sort of AC vents or drafty spots.

You can drape a blanket over the tank at night if you need to. The crabs don't need any sort of nightlight and this may help boost temps in the evenings.

Topic author
CharlesMTF

Re: Temp Issues

Post by CharlesMTF » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:32 am

soilentgringa wrote:Hi, let me preface this by saying that I did not read through all the comments yet.

For a 10 gallon tank with an insulated Ultratherm on the back of it, the temps should not be as low.

For a more accurate reading I would suggest getting the gauge off of the substrate, because with the cool/wet sub, the temp will read a little lower than it would if it were hanging in a more central location or up off the ground. The dampness on the floor of the tank can cause them to go wonky anyway, and if that happens just take the gauge out of the tank for a day or so to let it "dry out" so to speak.

I would make sure the tank isn't near any sort of AC vents or drafty spots.

You can drape a blanket over the tank at night if you need to. The crabs don't need any sort of nightlight and this may help boost temps in the evenings.
With your suggestion, I put the gauge in about the center of the tank, about and inch off the ground.

Temps now tend to read about 80-83. But, humidity now shows as being about 80... sometimes dipping to high 70's (like 78-79). And, sometimes, more rarely, going to about 83. So, now I'm spraying water into the tank daily... once or twice daily. Hope that's ok while the crabs are under.
0.0.6 Hermit Crab (Donald Trump, Louis, & 4 unnamed)
0.1.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
0.1.0 Ball Python (unnamed)

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Temp Issues

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:57 am

A lot of people mist their tanks. That only boosts if temporarily though. Bubblers, moss pits, coco mats, eco earth, glass tops all help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com