I have to move. No idea how to safely.

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Just Jay

Re: I have to move. No idea how to safely.

Post by Just Jay » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:26 am

Oh and thanks for the heating pad tip! Its so simple i love it. Im kinda hoping my weather will hold.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Topic author
Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:28 am

daws409 wrote:@kermie16 is still in the process of moving I believe... She's the one with 55 gal tank. You may can jump on her post and ask for updates or see what she did like what worked and didn't work

Edit- kermies post: http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... p?t=113115

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Thanks! Didnt see this was still active.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:23 pm

Hey JustJay! Yep! We recently moved about 10 days ago. We moved about 20 minutes away from my old house. We haven't put the house on the market yet so I kept my 55g tank there with my 2 molting crabs:) When it got about 2 weeks to our moving date and, actually the real trigger, when I saw one of my hermies starting to dig a lot, I went ahead and set up a 20g tank with my daughter. Waited a few days to make sure it was stable and went ahead and moved my 3 hermies that were already on top (non molters). My husband and I were able to transfer the 20g tank ourselves safely and the heat and humidity stayed stable :) I press and sealed the top glass cover so barely and humidity lost in the transfer. I'm running around right now so I have to make this short. If u have any questions for me, I'll try to answer as best as possible:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:48 pm

*cracks knuckles* Okay dude I have moved my hermit crabs to and from CA-UT SEVERAL times. Luckily I have PPs and Es so they are sturdy. You can totally do this move even with a molting crab! Definitely no doubt about it.

The process I have developed for moving is intense. So I prefer Pacific Coast sand to Utah sand so I bring my sand with me. And the process is me packing up my car of all my other belongings the day before but leaving room for my tank, tank items, sand and crabs. I place the crabs in a 10g tank with a heating pad and blanket over it to keep it dark, humid and warm. This rides shotgun with my plants and I. (the beta was in the cup holder mildly upset lol). My main goals were to keep the crabs as stress free as possible. This means keeping time in the 10g as limited as possible. To alleviate this problem I would wake up early and pack up the crabs/crab stuff the morning of and stay up late to reset up the tank (even after a 12 hour drive). But it gets complicated with a molting crab so. If you know where the crab is you can modify the cup method of transportation and just dig out the rest of the sand. Or if you do have a 20 long get a friend to help lift it. I transported crabs with a 20long 40 breeder and now this 55g. During this last move within salt lake i had a crab molt while in the 10g. I usually transport my sand by getting small boxes and lining them with trash bags and filling them as much as possible. Then you just have to transport small bricks of sand. I typically fill my tank with climby toys and have a seperate tote for extra plants and food stuffs.

I hope this will give you ideas. I have had to move so much that i have it downt to a science. And it is a big reason why I dont have exotics yet. I still dont have a super stable living condition lol but you got this!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:41 am

Removing all the substrate will not disrupt the environment, unless you have things such as live plants, but even then, transporting them in pots would be better. In the reptile world the substrate isn't usually as deep as it is for hermit crabs, so they may suggest different ideas. I know that around a liter of sand and weight in excess of a 1kg, in a ten gallon you may have around 10 to 20kg (around a small child).... glass may be strong and silicone may be flexible, but they both aren't superman.
And yes, we support digging up moulters when moving as their caves may collapse, suffocating the moulter.
Instead of looking for a small tank, try totes. They far easier to move with, sturdier and then can be converted into a practical storage container for your crabs.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:00 am

These are great tips to remember for later this year!!

Topic author
Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:39 pm

Thank you all for your input. i actually was not able to move my crabs myself. to make a long story short; i was living with my boyfriend and we broke up so when i started moving out things did not go well. his dad had to just move all of my things out for me...including my crabs. i wasnt told what happened just that there where only two crabs when he went to move my tank. i originally had four crabs.

thanks anyway. i hope this helps you move Giner13!

:crabblush:

DreaminginBlue

Post by DreaminginBlue » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:50 am

I am so sorry to hear about that. Sending you hugs and well wishes.

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:51 am

Aw that's no fun!! I'm sorry to hear things were rough.
And I hope all your crabs are ok!!

Topic author
Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:58 am

Thank you. Definitely very upset and just trying to make sure the two i have are set up and healthy. All in time i guess.

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:51 am

Just Jay wrote:Thank you. Definitely very upset and just trying to make sure the two i have are set up and healthy. All in time i guess.
Keep us updated!!Image

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:48 pm

Oh no!!

Hopefully they are okay & just hiding out... did he remove any of the sand, or was that already done in advance?? (I mean, moving a large tank with sand seams like a feat of the gods. :? )

Sending hugs your way!
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(