Tank size

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

LadyJinglyJones

Re: Tank size

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:13 pm

Because they are very delicate post moult... their new integument is soft and pale and will gradually harden up. Any dents in claws or twisted legs sustained at this point will harden into lasting deformities til the next moult. Significant deformities will have to be autotomised (dropped).

Stressin their bodies before the event may disrupt the process too, and we can't know if it will affect their moult adversely.

And collapsed tunnels and all that.

HOWEVER... there are times when it's necessary to move them: emergencies like floods, bacterial blooms, ant infestations, damaged tanks, or when a human has to disassemble their tank to move.

When these situations arise we do carefully move them, then isolate til they finish their moult & eat their exo & are scrappy and ready to take on the world again. :barbells:: :smt062

It's just preferable that they be left to do their thing... less opportunity for damage.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:15 am

LadyJinglyJones wrote:Because they are very delicate post moult... their new integument is soft and pale and will gradually harden up. Any dents in claws or twisted legs sustained at this point will harden into lasting deformities til the next moult. Significant deformities will have to be autotomised (dropped).

Stressin their bodies before the event may disrupt the process too, and we can't know if it will affect their moult adversely.

HOWEVER... there are times when it's necessary to move them: emergencies like floods, bacterial blooms, ant infestations, damaged tanks, or when a human has to disassemble their tank to move.

When these situations arise we do carefully move them, then isolate til they finish their moult & eat their exo & are scrappy and ready to take on the world again. :barbells:: :smt062

It's just preferable that they be left to do their thing... less opportunity for damage.
Ok. Thanks again. :D I'm going to move the other 2 into the 40 gal I got, and leave the buried one. I just have to find a spot to put the 15gal tank. Since the sand/ee ratio is 5:1, how many bags of play sand (50lb bags) should I get for the 40?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:56 pm

Cherylco55 wrote:
LadyJinglyJones wrote:Because they are very delicate post moult... their new integument is soft and pale and will gradually harden up. Any dents in claws or twisted legs sustained at this point will harden into lasting deformities til the next moult. Significant deformities will have to be autotomised (dropped).

Ok. Thanks again. :D I'm going to move the other 2 into the 40 gal I got, and leave the buried one. I just have to find a spot to put the 15gal tank. Since the sand/ee ratio is 5:1, how many bags of play sand (50lb bags) should I get for the 40?
Is this the correct sand?Image

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi