Gettin 45 gallon setup, many questions.

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

daws409

Re: Gettin 45 gallon setup, many questions.

Post by daws409 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:09 am

I made my own wire screens using diy window kits and wire mesh from Lowe's.. Someone else was asking about it. I'll see if I can find the post.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

daws409

Post by daws409 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:16 am

Here's the link to that post. http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... p?t=113009

Edit: Go back through that entire topic for all of the details.

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:30 pm

daws409 wrote:Here's the link to that post. http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... p?t=113009

Edit: Go back through that entire topic for all of the details.
Daws forgive me for assuming your name is Dawn! lol I get so use to seeing screen names n go off that....I'm Traci!

You guys are so incredibly helpful, seriously understand when your in the middle of construction and need a quick answer! So thank u thank u!
I also came across those same 2 places, I always look at Amazon first due to Prime (free shipping yay!) n seen the $100 Image one. Also have the foster place still pulled up on my phone n feel that is a more reasonable price. I do despise shipping fees though, Amazon spoils me! N now looking at your screens I know the min. I show my husband that it will be a DIY for him!! Lol Thankful he loves all this as much as I do! But now seeing your DIY puts me back on the fence with lighting! Lol mostly Bc I'd just love to have over head lighting n moon lighting for viewing!
So with that said, new heat pad on its way in next day or 2 and thermometer probe someone also suggested on my post, thank u! can't remember who! We will see what heat looks like after that's set up (there's actually a air vent in floor right by tank n it's always set 73degrees this time of year) so not thinking we will need a lot but for some reason I'm really wanting to keep that top we have on there! Like I shared before just need to fill in that one area that's been cut. A million ways to do it 'rig it' my husband would say...lol but I'd love to find if they sell replacement pieces to put back in there, call me crazy Image when hubby said cardboard will do for now I just envision a crab escaping Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:46 pm

I just added more ee to my 5:1 sand/ee about a week ago, and my humidity is staying the same, but my sub is no longer drying out, and I added more to one side than the other too try an experiment(to see if they would dig more where there is more ee) and so far I was right. The only place I've noticed digging is the side where it's more 50/50. I'm going to only add ee when it settles again, it stays moist better and they seem to like it better

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk[/quote]

Oh awesome! Thanks for sharing!!!!

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:00 pm

GotButterflies wrote:I bought my glass tops off of the Internet. With my uvb light, I prop the front of my glass tops up and put my strip lights there with the uvb bulbs in them. Sometimes I put press n seal around it. I am in the room when I do it. Only one time have I seen a crab go near the bulb. I also do not like any electrical things inside the crabitat.

Oh man I've got 4 girls ages (terrible 2 - teenager) don't think I'd have time to keep eye on them that much, busy busy home here!

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:02 pm

daws409 wrote:Just realized you said 12.5 x 36.25. Are you sure he measured right? That's an odd size. It does say in their description that it will fit a 45 gal. If it doesn't work, I would modify it to make it work. It's probably the closest size that will fit your needs. Good luck! :)

I'll double check! We had this same question about tank when we got it measurements not comin out right to be sure it was 45 gallon! lol I'll google 'how to measure' lol n be sure get right measurements.

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:24 pm

ImageImage

daws409

Post by daws409 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:26 pm

If you do decide on metal top, these are the hoods I use. It has 2 bulbs on different plugs for ease of day/night cycles. 75 watt max per bulb. I suggest starting with lowest watt bulb possible. I use exo terra day and exo terra night bulbs. I also suggest getting a rheostat (temp dimmer) so that the bulbs can be dimmed if it's too much heat. You can also use a timer with this so the lights switch by themselves. However, if the you use a timer and the rheostat together, you will need 2 rheostats (one for day side and one for night side)

Please remember that lights DO zap humidity. You have to find ways to keep the humidity up. For me bubblers and moss pit works. I also only use ee so that may help as well.

daws409

Post by daws409 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:29 pm

Highnmighty217 wrote:
daws409 wrote:Just realized you said 12.5 x 36.25. Are you sure he measured right? That's an odd size. It does say in their description that it will fit a 45 gal. If it doesn't work, I would modify it to make it work. It's probably the closest size that will fit your needs. Good luck! :)

I'll double check! We had this same question about tank when we got it measurements not comin out right to be sure it was 45 gallon! lol I'll google 'how to measure' lol n be sure get right measurements.

When measuring the top, make sure you get the inside measurements. There's usually a lip there to hold the hood. Hope that helps.

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:33 pm

Happy Valentine's Day to me!! Or to them Image Same thing right? Hubby n I spent our kid-free few hours today running around for some crab items, well we did this most the weekend haha! The silliest things were the hardest to find! Like aquarium safe silicone! 1 tube left at pet store n Lowes nor WalMart had it! Got everything for our bowls now, I *think* I got the right items for bubblers! Lol Decided to mix in more EE instead of the bottom layer n 1/2 on one side on top. I believe I'll mix it all together n then maybe still do top layer 1/2 n 1/2. Image Hooked up new heater Saturday (ITS HUGE!) this morning was settin low 70s so we used our Rep. n wrapped the back n now lookin at 78-80 degrees with about the same amount of humidity. I REALLY dislike the 'look' on the back but healthy crabs over looks! One day I'll get to the fun part of decorating etc but right now I want the safest, healthiest environment I can!!

ImageImage

NLindsey921

Post by NLindsey921 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:09 pm

Looking good to me. The only thing I can say is make sure you use all the silicone in one go because it hardens inside the tube.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk
5pps: Jimbo, Tiny, Mr Krabs, Felicia, Sebastian

daws409

Post by daws409 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:18 pm

Looks good so far. It'll come together faster than you think. :)

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:59 pm

How exciting! :) Looks great! Make sure the heater stays above the sub :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:03 pm

NLindsey921 wrote:Looking good to me. The only thing I can say is make sure you use all the silicone in one go because it hardens inside the tube.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk
Great advice thanks!!!

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:21 pm

GotButterflies wrote:How exciting! :) Looks great! Make sure the heater stays above the sub :)
Let me tell ya I just got in there to add some EE n it's a JOB! I'm not short by no means, was standing on a chair digging in there!! Needless to say hubby can finish whatever it is I started there!
Definitely need move it up being I'm adding even more! Will do that tomorrow! Thank u!