Crabbies So Happy to Have Lighting Strip Back!

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Crabinski

Crabbies So Happy to Have Lighting Strip Back!

Post by Crabinski » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:20 pm

When I revamped the 10g about 10 days ago, the humidity was hanging at 99 so I removed the fluorescent reptile strip light I had used for years. The guys were getting sufficient daylight and diffused fluorescent light from a nearby fixture so I felt it was a good move. None of the guys were as active as usual, though: Felix, the tank patroller, and Harry, the mad climber, were not doing their thing and Ignatz barely moved. Big Enzo, the burrower, seemed to be the only happy PP. Poor Iggy subsequently went naked, refused to reshell and passed away on Wednesday.

So, I decided to reinstall the fluorescent strip on top of the tank yesterday and let me tell you that as soon as it clicked on, Felix was out tromping around and Harry was doing his Spider-Man impression across the top of the tank! I can't believe how happy they are to have that light strip back -- it's what they know (Felix for 6+ years and Harry 3+ years) and apparently missed. Too bad they can't overtly tell me if there's something else in the new set-up that they don't like :lol: ! I know they miss the small resin tree but, with the doubled substrate depth, it just doesn't fit anymore.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Crabbies So Happy to Have Lighting Strip Back!

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:22 pm

I always thought it was just me when my LED light strip when out & the crabs started acting different after that. I always wondered if I have a light on my tank again if my hermies would act how they did in my earlier years. :)

Very interesting read though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm super sorry to hear about Iggy. RIP
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:31 pm

Glad you were able to set the light back up and that they're back to their old selves. Did the humidity balance out or is it still super high? It's not real concern other than maybe encouraging mold growth but I am curious if it's settled some. I recently did a good clean up, spray of the surface, and recovered the lid in my PP tank and humidity jumped up to 99% and has stayed there.

Topic author
Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:34 pm

Humidity is still very high, Calla, between 93 and 99. When I see that it's 93 or so, I open that 3" strip "door" on the tank topper above the mesh lid. That helps it drop down a few points. No mold or mildew (yet) but the grapevine wood branch grew a bit of a "beard" which easily cleaned off. I'm hoping the humidity will gradually work its way down as the only moisture I've added is, obviously, the two water bowls and the damp moss in their moss pit. As all of the substrate was replaced (from 2.5" to 6") with freshly prepared Eco Earth, it was a big slam of moisture all at once but I think having that reptile strip light on for two sessions each day will help the tank dry out a little. The guys seem happy, though, even if I'm freaking over the high humidity.
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale

jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:21 pm

I air out the tank for 30 minutes to an hour once or twice a week, and then spray directly after that. I don't trust gauges anymore, after seeing how far off their measurements can be. I use the condensation on the front pane of glass to tell the humidity :D
When you've been crabbing for so long, you don't even know how many crabs you have now...

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:25 pm

I test mine once a month or so, just to make sure nothing has changed. They can definitely change and/or break over time! I'd rather test often and have a better idea of humidity than just feel.

jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:33 pm

My humidity is always above 70%, that's most definitely true. My gauge will often read 99%, though, and there's no way it could be that high. I've had conversations with experienced froggers who really just hate their gauges. I do keep one in there, though. The lid is all glass, and I'm going to put some vents in the vinyl strip on the back of it soon, to allow air flow. The eco earth side of my tank is really good for indicating humidity, though :). The top layer will become a little dry, the part that isn't stuck to the sand mixed in, and when it gets to that point, I'll air out and re-mist.
When you've been crabbing for so long, you don't even know how many crabs you have now...

Topic author
Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:36 pm

The Acurite digital in the tank is brand-new (purchased at the time of the tank revamp) and was calibrated using the salt method. After the requisite 6 hours, it registered 70 not the expected 75. I had initially been working off that low number and mentally added "5" every time I checked the readings --but, if it's still "5" low, then the 99 reading actually means 104 :? ? As that's not possible because it would be literally raining in there and there's no condensation in the tank, I think the Acurite may actually be right-ish at this point :lol: , 93 meaning 93, 99 meaning 99.