Dry Sub

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
hermitcrabdc

Dry Sub

Post by hermitcrabdc » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:44 pm

Hey all, long time no see :)
So, I'm having some trouble with my substrate staying moist. A few months back I took apart my tank and used over a gallon of water to re-moisten the sub (in both totes) Now it's all drying out again. I've let water drip down the sides into the substrate multiple times but the top is still very dry. I have molters down right now and I'm not sure how wet the bottom is. I don't want to flood the bottom where they are, especially if the top is still dry. I'm worried about collapsing caves....any ideas?
Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

daws409

Re: Dry Sub

Post by daws409 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:03 pm

I've heard other crabbers mention this but I've never tried it. I hope I stated it correctly. Other crabbers, please correct me if I'm wrong! Stick a chop stick or something similar like a straw in a corner. If hole stays, your good. If it collapses, sub is too dry. You can also check in the middle against the side/glass if I'm not mistaking.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:20 pm

You would be best to get a chopstick and go up against the glass :)

When you initially mixed, did you mix with marine saltwater? I really think that helps hold moisture. :) Also, you could add some damp/moist eco earth on top, of the current sub. I wouldn't add more than an inch of it though. That should help. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:27 pm

You use a UTH right? Is the how top layer dry, or just around the UTH? If its just around the UTH, I wouldn't worry much.... But CB mention, a cap of EE might help and retain some of the moisture...
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies