Upgrade

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Jennycat

Upgrade

Post by Jennycat » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:12 pm

I have a ten gallon with my three crabs in it . I want to add more to my substrate because it is not deep enough. Also I would like to add new pools with bubblers which I would like put below the surface . How can I do this without disrupting my crabs too much ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermiearth

Re: Upgrade

Post by Hermiearth » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:17 pm

For the record 3 crabs in a 10 gal is overcrowded. I believe any number of crabs shouldn't be kept in a 10 but that is just an opinion. You would have to wait untill they are up. When I put mine in I accidentally dug one up- and I have a 60 g so t was a lot less likely. Luckily the crab I dug up wasn't mid molt. For sub it is safe to ad 1 inch every 24 hours without packing it down.

Topic author
Jennycat

Upgrade

Post by Jennycat » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:18 pm

I know . When I got them I was helped at the local Pets mart . Unfortunately now that I have them in the 10gal I am afraid to move and disrupt them too much . Space wise I really could not go a lot more then a 20gal . Which would be safest? Upgrading on size of tank or just keeping as is and adding to the current tank ?

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:38 pm

That explains it. On the contrary, hermit crabs tend to enjoy a change of scenery so disruption isn't much of a problem. A 20 gal will be roomy enough for up to 4 crabs, just wait till they come to the surface before switching them over. I would definitely upgrade, with crabs in an overcrowded tank the biggest concern is cannibalism (crabs digging up and eating molters). Look on letgo, Craigslist, and offer up before buying a tank from a shop and you could get a great deal.

daws409

Post by daws409 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:40 pm

Upgrading the size of tank is better. Adding a topper doesn't change the floor (molting) space. I would get a 20L or 29 and use the 10 as a topper.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Topic author
Jennycat

Post by Jennycat » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:11 pm

Upgraded to a 20gal today and added some pools with bubblers . Just waiting on my last crab to come out of hiding before I can move him over . I have to add some more fun things for them to do as well . Any suggestions ? Image

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Upgrade

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:37 pm

It looks great! half of your ecoearth looks dry. All of it needs to be moistened to sand castle consistency with dechlorinated marine salt water for the crabs to dig I always love adding branches for height, and then wrapping jungle vine to them. Some people use shower caddies with the suction cups, magnaturals, cholla is great, cork bark the possibilities are endless. Congratulations on the upgrade

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Jennycat

Post by Jennycat » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:53 pm

The substrate I think is ok . Just a poor pic but I'm going to double check . The bubblers have been keeping the humidity perfect ..I'm loving that :). The heat is a bit low at 72 I'm trying to raise it up a bit .

I could see a small bit of exo in my old tank through the side and am assuming my big guy has molted . It worked out fabulously because he is now in the old tank alone .

Thanks for the suggestions I will defiantly be adding more . The two that I moved yesterday seemed to have a great time exploring last night . They love the vine I put in Image.