I have to move. No idea how to safely.

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Just Jay

I have to move. No idea how to safely.

Post by Just Jay » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:08 pm

Not sure where this fits.

Too make a long story short i am moving out of my current apartment. I am of course going to take my four with me. Im just very scared on moving the tank. I have a 20gl long. Four pps. One currently molting for 8-9 months. i am unsure of her status. The other three are currently up. We will be moving between 20 and 45min away [depends on traffic]. I am unsure of how to do this. What i would need. What problems to plan for. Anything. Im very worried on top of everything else i will hurt or kill my pets.

If any of you have any advice id greatly appreciate it. i need the help.

If anyone needs more information please ask i wasnt sure what to put.

:crabblush:

Giner13

Re: I have to move. No idea how to safely.

Post by Giner13 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:47 am

Going to follow cause this will be later this year!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:40 am

Giner13 wrote:Going to follow cause this will be later this year!!

Yeah i tried looking in the forum not much on moving them. Hopefully I don't have to play trial and error

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

daws409

Post by daws409 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:54 am

Actually there is... I'll see if I can find some posts

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Topic author
Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:58 am

daws409 wrote:Actually there is... I'll see if I can find some posts

Yes please! I was looking on my phone which is always harder.

daws409

Post by daws409 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:05 am

Someone else had this question a while back and I posted what I found on their thread... I'm sure there's more tho!

Her thread: http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... p?t=113522

Topic author
Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:06 am

daws409 wrote:Someone else had this question a while back and I posted what I found on their thread... I'm sure there's more tho!

Her thread: http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... p?t=113522

Your the best! Thanks for giving me a lead.

daws409

Post by daws409 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:06 am

YW!

daws409

Post by daws409 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:12 am

daws409 wrote:YW!

Was that what you're looking for? Doesn't look as tho they updated their threads...

Topic author
Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:18 am

Yeah and no. Sadly it all looks the same or similar and not much info updated after if at all. Im going to have to leave the tank till last. Set up isos for my three active. They can travel in one. Remove anything loose. Then dig up Hermione. ...which is just adding more stress to this whole thing. Even if its for the best. Only positive ill know 100% what's going on with her. Finally i shouldn't have to take out all the sand if i can safely lift and move my tank. Its a start and my main question was honestly if Hermione is still alive under how can i make sure she makes it.

Topic author
Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:19 am

Ill probably keep looking for help and ideas. But will start planning here. Hopefully by Giner13s move itll be no big deal. Lol

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:48 am

Good luck for sure!!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:50 am

Digging up a moulding crab may be stressful on the little one but in my years of crabbing I've never witness complications when digging up a moulting crab. Still don't suggest it or let people think that it is fine to dig up their crabs all the time, save digging for situations like moving and emergency.
Anywho, if you can move the tank with substrate I applause you on your muscles mass! Tanks in themselves can be heavy add a few hundred pounds of wet substrate.... likewise moving a full tank is cause seams to break, leading to shattered glass or even a pane to come loose. To reduce the risk of disaster, try to move the tank as empty as possible.
My biggest suggestion would be to have a tank or a tote up and running a few days before you get there so you can quickly transfer them to ideal conditions and then have time to setup their tank or start unpacking other bits and bobs.
When transferring crabs, especially moulters most people swear by and have good success with using moss as a substrate medium as it retains loads of moisture and is fairly lightweight so you don't have to worry about collapsed caves ect. Plus it also makes s grest snacking medium! If you have a transport container, stock up of heat packs if you know it will get cold or just have the car ac on at a temperature that is safe for the crabs. Isolate moulters by using small container(s) inside the transport container, tupperwear or margarine containers with holes cut out for air circulation make fine choices. Some people use the crabitags home as a transport container by leaving an inch or less of substrate at the bottom and keep the rest of the substrate in buckets. However if you have a dedicated transport container, then it's equally fine to use that too. Remember to pack a spray bottle to keep the humidity up and I would also recommend keeping the water conditioner near the crabs in case of emergency for an easy find and you're not looking through boxes trying to find it once you get to the new place.
Hope I have helped.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

daws409

Post by daws409 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:09 am

@kermie16 is still in the process of moving I believe... She's the one with 55 gal tank. You may can jump on her post and ask for updates or see what she did like what worked and didn't work

Edit- kermies post: http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... p?t=113115

Topic author
Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:25 am

aussieJJDude wrote:Digging up a moulding crab may be stressful on the little one but in my years of crabbing I've never witness complications when digging up a moulting crab. Still don't suggest it or let people think that it is fine to dig up their crabs all the time, save digging for situations like moving and emergency.
Anywho, if you can move the tank with substrate I applause you on your muscles mass! Tanks in themselves can be heavy add a few hundred pounds of wet substrate.... likewise moving a full tank is cause seams to break, leading to shattered glass or even a pane to come loose. To reduce the risk of disaster, try to move the tank as empty as possible.
My biggest suggestion would be to have a tank or a tote up and running a few days before you get there so you can quickly transfer them to ideal conditions and then have time to setup their tank or start unpacking other bits and bobs.
When transferring crabs, especially moulters most people swear by and have good success with using moss as a substrate medium as it retains loads of moisture and is fairly lightweight so you don't have to worry about collapsed caves ect. Plus it also makes s grest snacking medium! If you have a transport container, stock up of heat packs if you know it will get cold or just have the car ac on at a temperature that is safe for the crabs. Isolate moulters by using small container(s) inside the transport container, tupperwear or margarine containers with holes cut out for air circulation make fine choices. Some people use the crabitags home as a transport container by leaving an inch or less of substrate at the bottom and keep the rest of the substrate in buckets. However if you have a dedicated transport container, then it's equally fine to use that too. Remember to pack a spray bottle to keep the humidity up and I would also recommend keeping the water conditioner near the crabs in case of emergency for an easy find and you're not looking through boxes trying to find it once you get to the new place.
Hope I have helped.
Realy did. Lol. I work for a feed and pet supply company and am very lucky i have friends who know how to move tanks planing on doing it. We were planning to leave sub in it that was comfortable enough to move safely and not fully disturb the environment completely. [More than a few reptile people recommend that] so we are talking about a fourth or less. While i know you should never dig up a molter unless you have no other choice. the articles suggested above said to dig up an crabs because travel will cause the air tunnels to collapse on them. Id already planned on having my isos ready and traveling with the crabs in the tank like that. I usually do small Tupperware containers with sub at the bottom then damp moss and a damp washcloth in the tank clipped on the top. For travel i was going to skip the cloth add more moss and ventilate the top. Im trying to see if i can borrw a small tank to set up before and have ready. If not is really whats worrying me. Expecially with not knowing whats going on with Hermione. I have a few pets im moving with. [Dog, bird, hamster and my crabs] so i have a duffle bag with everyone's necessities.