Is a low humidity okay for Acclimating?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
AndyCrabby

Is a low humidity okay for Acclimating?

Post by AndyCrabby » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:27 pm

So I was at a pet store looking for supplies and I just couldn't resist. I bought a hermit crab. My tank was mostly set up and this little guy was just so upset looking.Sponges/foam with bacteria, only one bowl of water,painted shell(other guy had googly eyes on his) and not even a humidity gauge. When the lady took the tank out it wasn't humid at all. I brought him home hoping he would survive the cold trip home. He made it and he's happily hiding for now. The substrate is moist and all but the humidity won't get past 65. Is this okay while he's acclimating to the better conditions. I plan to get a humidifier(and adopt buddies)soon.

Brian_T

Re: Is a low humidity okay for Acclimating?

Post by Brian_T » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:41 am

Is this a new set up? What kind of lid are you using and what kind of heat source do you have?

If you have a mesh lid, cover it with plastic wrap to hold in the humidity.

Also heat lamps drive off moisture.

Tell us more about your setup and the experts here will be able to help you better. You can copy/paste the emergency template with answers.

As far as acclimation goes, some say you want to do it gradually. Personally I think getting them into optimal conditions ASAP is the way to go. There are crabbers with much more experience on here and it seems to be an individual decision.

Topic author
AndyCrabby

Re: Is a low humidity okay for Acclimating?

Post by AndyCrabby » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:28 am

I have a glass lid and I'm using an UltraTherm as a heater.
And yes the set up is new but it has most of what a crab would need.Minus a proper food dish and sand(He's just has coco fiber for now)