adding substrate?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
bxbylxv

adding substrate?

Post by bxbylxv » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:20 am

jeeesus i haven't been on this forum in a while! anyways, things have been going fine with my hermies, but i unfortunately haven't been as keen on their care what with being busy with school and sat studying :( i check my temp and humidity every day, and generally humidity is around 90-95% and temps fluctuate between 79-85 F.

i didn't notice this until now, but my substrate is really low!! it's only 4.5 inches. it's a good thing my crabs are all small/medium ^^; yikes.

i want to add more sub, this time mixing in eco earth (i just have playsand in the tank atm). while i'm at it i'd also like to add more things for the crabs to climb (any suggestions?). i'm not really happy with my set up so i might just completely remodel tbh.

the problem is all three of my crabs spend most of their time underground, and it's been a while since all of them were on the surface at once. what should i do?

edit: added temps/humidity

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: adding substrate?

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:10 am

Welcome back! You can add one inch of substrate per 24 hours do not pack it down. As far as remodeling- you really have to be careful not to collapse substrate by picking things up and moving them. I love branches- oak branches. Bake or freeze to debug. Should be free of pesticides and fertilizers for hermits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
bxbylxv

Post by bxbylxv » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:56 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Welcome back! You can add one inch of substrate per 24 hours Image do not pack it down. As far as remodeling- you really have to be careful not to collapse substrate by picking things up and moving them. I love branches- oak branches. Bake or freeze to debug. Should be free of pesticides and fertilizers for hermits.

thanks! i'll definitely try it :)

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:57 pm

Yw!

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com