Is this safe?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
NCgirl19

Is this safe?

Post by NCgirl19 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:26 pm

I was thinking of adding a bendable vine to the 55g but was wondering if it's safe? I read a thread on here about how if something feels good to the crabs claws they will zone out and pick, pick, pick at it...this looks like a flexible metal rod covered in foam and then painted. The painted part is what worries me.

This is the product I'm asking about

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RebsCritters

Re: Is this safe?

Post by RebsCritters » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:20 pm

I've seen other crabbers use this, or similar items, in their tanks and haven't heard (so far) of any issues arising specifically due to its use.
With that said, I personally steer clear of them for the same concern that you've raised.
Sorry I can't be more helpful than that.

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:53 pm

It depends on how destructive your crabs are feeling. :wink:

I wouldn't use it because I've a crab I once watched pick plastic netting to shreds and appear to try eating it.

Also, the vines may not last super long, as I suspect crabs are harder on their housing than the average reptile.

But as above, lots of people do use them. :)
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Is this safe?

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:30 pm

I have never seen those, but I have the original exoterra jungle vine, and a newer version of it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
NCgirl19

Post by NCgirl19 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:43 pm

Thanks for all the input - I ordered it and once I start decorating I'll see if I need it. I'll update with how it works if do use it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk