Can this be used

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
EPAS

Can this be used

Post by EPAS » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:37 am

Can I use these rocks in my crabitat?
I was given a 20 gallon tank with four two pound salt water rocks. The rocks were soaked in 50/50 vinegar water mixture, then in declorinated water, then outside in the sun for a week.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Can this be used

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:02 pm

I don't see a picture if you attached one. Rocks are fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
EPAS

Post by EPAS » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:41 pm

I'm just getting the tank established.
I have just started to purchase items I need. I have not purchased the UTH, moss or sand.
I will post a picture of the rocks soon.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:01 am

The saltwater rocks were probably once live rock.

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

RebsCritters

Post by RebsCritters » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:04 pm

GotButterflies wrote:The saltwater rocks were probably once live rock.

Or "base rock" which essentially​ becomes the same as live rock in an established saltwater aquarium.
I would be concerned about bacteria, illnesses, and hitchhikers, especially from an unknown tank. There is no way to know what exactly these stones were exposed to.
You could boil the rocks, but beware they are very porous. It may take several soaks/rinses to completely clean them of everything potentially harmful.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:09 pm

Most likely the hitchhikers will not survive anyway or cause much problems. A week freshwater dip for example will kill most marine organisms, or your vinegar and freshwater dip.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:21 pm

RebsCritters wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:The saltwater rocks were probably once live rock.

Or "base rock" which essentially​ becomes the same as live rock in an established saltwater aquarium.
I would be concerned about bacteria, illnesses, and hitchhikers, especially from an unknown tank. There is no way to know what exactly these stones were exposed to.
You could boil the rocks, but beware they are very porous. It may take several soaks/rinses to completely clean them of everything potentially harmful.
The op said they used a vinegar water dip then left them in the sun for a week Image

Topic author
EPAS

Post by EPAS » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:13 pm

I don't know how to post a picture of the rocks. I won't be using these rocks.
I wanted to kill everything off the rocks and use them. I began by soaking the rocks in a 50/50 vinegar & water solution. The rocks were outside for a week.
I just put the rocks in a bucket and poured boiling water over them until they were completely covered. When the water has cooled, I will drain the bucket and dry out the rocks.
Thank you all very much.