Crabitat Suggestions?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
AuntieEm_

Crabitat Suggestions?

Post by AuntieEm_ » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:47 am

I'm going to a Pet Expo this weekend, and I want to make sure my crabbies have everything they need!

I'm still fairly new to crabbing, and I was wondering if any of you would be willing to take a look at my crabitat and critique it/give me some recommendations as to what I should buy while I'm at the expoImage

Here are some details about my setup:

- 20 gallon tank
- stable temperature & humidity
- 4 PPs (none bigger than a golf ball)
- 7 inches of substrate
- substrate is a mix of sand & eco earth
- salt water & freshwater bowls
- heat lamp on top of the lid
- substrate is "sand castle consistency"

ImageImage

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Crabitat Suggestions?

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:17 am

Climbing places and hiding places. Food and spare shells wouldn't hurt either

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:24 am

Pools should also be deep enough for tabs to fully submerge in, as well as safely get out of.

Modified hamster wheel for exercise

Definitely a lot more hiding spaces- some oak branches, or driftwood for them to climb on to add height

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
AuntieEm_

Post by AuntieEm_ » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:51 am

aussieJJDude wrote:Climbing places and hiding places. Food and spare shells wouldn't hurt either

they get fresh food everyday, and i'm actually in the process of starting a garden for them!Image
i'm definitely going to get some vines and stuff, too! i don't know if you saw the pictures or not, but because the substrate is so deep, there's not a lot of room (height-wise) to add things up where the crabbies are...do you have any tips or ideas for making the most of the space when adding climbing and hiding places?
i have 9 spare shells in the crabitat right now, but i also have some extras that are either way too big or way too small and therefore aren't in the tank currently. would you recommend getting more for the tank? :)

Topic author
AuntieEm_

Post by AuntieEm_ » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:01 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Pools should also be deep enough for tabs to fully submerge in, as well as safely get out of.

Modified hamster wheel for exercise Image

Definitely a lot more hiding spaces- some oak branches, or driftwood for them to climb on to add height Image

thank you so much! i've been looking for deeper water dishes, but i'm having some trouble finding any. do you have recommendations as to where i should look? i've thought of using tupperware, but i feel like i want it to look nicer than thatImage maybe a ceramic bowl?
also do you have any tips for making it easy for the crabs to get out?

DreaminginBlue

Post by DreaminginBlue » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:55 pm

I use two "Fluker's Groovy Lagoon" bowls and my crabs love them. Just a thought.

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:42 pm

Try adding some bubblers and deeper pools to keep up humidity.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Crabitat Suggestions?

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:59 pm

Kudos on the garden! Our family loves our organic garden! The crabs benefit from it too of course!

I use Tupperware bowls...I have yet to find anything nicer. Some do use ceramic bowls, or kritter keepers. I do have a 2.5 gallon aquarium in my one crabitat. My other pools are 1 gallons. You can dress them up though! I put gravel and stones in my freshwater pool. In my saltwater I have gravel, small seashells, a piece of coral. I also use fishtank decor in them. I use craft mesh for mine to get in and out of safely. Some use cholla too.

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
AuntieEm_

Post by AuntieEm_ » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:42 pm

DreaminginBlue wrote:I use two "Fluker's Groovy Lagoon" bowls and my crabs love them. Just a thought.
thank you so much! i'll check those outImage

Topic author
AuntieEm_

Post by AuntieEm_ » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:48 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Kudos on the garden! Our family loves our organic garden! The crabs benefit from it too of course! Image

I use Tupperware bowls...I have yet to find anything nicer. Some do use ceramic bowls, or kritter keepers. I do have a 2.5 gallon aquarium in my one crabitat. My other pools are 1 gallons. You can dress them up though! I put gravel and stones in my freshwater pool. In my saltwater I have gravel, small seashells, a piece of coral. I also use fishtank decor in them. I use craft mesh for mine to get in and out of safely. Some use cholla too.

thank you! i'm very excited about it haha
oh wow, that sounds wonderful! i can see that looking really nice, actually haha i guess i underestimated tupperware!
thank you so much, i will for sure try it outImage

Topic author
AuntieEm_

Post by AuntieEm_ » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:48 pm

Hermiearth wrote:Try adding some bubblers and deeper pools to keep up humidity.

thank you!!!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:08 pm

AuntieEm_ wrote:they get fresh food everyday, and i'm actually in the process of starting a garden for them!Image
i'm definitely going to get some vines and stuff, too! i don't know if you saw the pictures or not, but because the substrate is so deep, there's not a lot of room (height-wise) to add things up where the crabbies are...do you have any tips or ideas for making the most of the space when adding climbing and hiding places?
i have 9 spare shells in the crabitat right now, but i also have some extras that are either way too big or way too small and therefore aren't in the tank currently. would you recommend getting more for the tank? :)
Fresh food is great, but mixes are a great as well, offering variety. Climbing objects no matter how small, and vines and plants also work.
Making most of the space... second levels if you can, otherwise you may want to look into adding a topper in the near future to increase space.
And you can never have enough shells.

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
AuntieEm_

Post by AuntieEm_ » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:12 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:
AuntieEm_ wrote:they get fresh food everyday, and i'm actually in the process of starting a garden for them!Image
Fresh food is great, but mixes are a great as well, offering variety. Climbing objects no matter how small, and vines and plants also work.
Making most of the space... second levels if you can, otherwise you may want to look into adding a topper in the near future to increase space.
And you can never have enough shells.

thank you so much for all your help!Image