Setting up an ISO

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
robinwhiskers

Setting up an ISO

Post by robinwhiskers » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:31 pm

I've got three small crabs in a 10 gallon and although I have no more room for more crabs, I want to set up an isolation tank in case of emergency, or if I needed to put the crabs somewhere smaller for the night or whatever. Rare occasions, but just in case. Anyway, I have an extra 5.5 gallon tank I want to use. A little scratched up and rusty on the lid, but overall a decent tank. I used to house several land snails in it before I got a new habitat for the snails themselves, so after I dump the dry coconut fiber the snails lived in a few months ago how do I clean the tank to make it not harmful for new crabs?

Of course I'll add moist play sand, a couple hides, a food bowl, and a freshwater and saltwater bowl. Because it is an ISO I don't heat it right? That wouldn't make sense because it's not a permanent crab home, but again if I did expand my main tank and take home a new crab, what if the new crab molted and the temp wasn't suitable? (Because I'd put a new crab in the ISO for the night, or if they dug down, however long the molt would take)
Rest in peace, Brigadier (adopted on 9/21/15)
Rest in peace, Lola (9/21/15) (adopted on 9/21/15)
Rest in peace, Harley (adopted on 4/29/16)
Rest in peace, Acuff (adopted in 5/20)

HeyItsEggs

Re: Setting up an ISO

Post by HeyItsEggs » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:19 pm

robinwhiskers wrote:I've got three small crabs in a 10 gallon and although I have no more room for more crabs, I want to set up an isolation tank in case of emergency, or if I needed to put the crabs somewhere smaller for the night or whatever. Rare occasions, but just in case. Anyway, I have an extra 5.5 gallon tank I want to use. A little scratched up and rusty on the lid, but overall a decent tank. I used to house several land snails in it before I got a new habitat for the snails themselves, so after I dump the dry coconut fiber the snails lived in a few months ago how do I clean the tank to make it not harmful for new crabs?

Of course I'll add moist play sand, a couple hides, a food bowl, and a freshwater and saltwater bowl. Because it is an ISO I don't heat it right? That wouldn't make sense because it's not a permanent crab home, but again if I did expand my main tank and take home a new crab, what if the new crab molted and the temp wasn't suitable? (Because I'd put a new crab in the ISO for the night, or if they dug down, however long the molt would take)
You would need to make it like their 'tat. Yes you would need to heat it and a molt can take anywhere from a couple weeks to a year.
Sophia aka "Eggs"
Four PPs, Rio, Rolo, Curlz and Malibu in a 40 gallon
May they rest in peace- Mango- 1/13/17 and Stefanio- 1/10/17

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:29 pm

It is not necessary to isolate new crabs or molters.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:05 am

Iso need to have a heater. You don't need it on unless you have someone inside. Other than that, they good to have around for emergencies or when you are rearranging their main display.
Soilentgrings they not nessercary, but if you have the option to set one up they good to have.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:15 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:Iso need to have a heater. You don't need it on unless you have someone inside. Other than that, they good to have around for emergencies or when you are rearranging their main display.
Soilentgrings they not nessercary, but if you have the option to set one up they good to have.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I didn't say that ISO's were not necessary; just that it is not something that has to be done just because a crab is new or preparing to molt.

I should have been more clear.

You do not have to have a dedicated ISO tank in order to isolate a sick crab, especially if space/finances are a concern. Temporary containers can be made for this purpose.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Topic author
robinwhiskers

Post by robinwhiskers » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:28 pm

Thanks for the replies! I wouldn't isolate molters, only if I ever had the room for another hermie or two I'd put it in an ISO for one night before introducing it to the main tank.
Rest in peace, Brigadier (adopted on 9/21/15)
Rest in peace, Lola (9/21/15) (adopted on 9/21/15)
Rest in peace, Harley (adopted on 4/29/16)
Rest in peace, Acuff (adopted in 5/20)