Crabitat Tote

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
biancaalexis

Crabitat Tote

Post by biancaalexis » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:49 pm

Hey guys,

It's been a LONG time since I've been active in the forum, but my crabbies are coming along great. I believe the last time I posted I had saved 5 small PPs from my local Petco that was closing that I put in my 10gal. I showed them pictures of my crabitat and they said I was obsessed and deserved to have them lol. I had already had two large PPs and a Medium PP that I moved to a 24gal tote. Recently, my 10 gal got infested with fruit flies. I tried the wine trick and it helped a lot, but I thought the best bet would be to move out the crabs that were up and put them in my tote until my two molters come up and I can clean out all the substrate. BUT THEY SEEM SO HAPPY WITH MY OTHER CRABS. I do not think I've seen them so active, and I'm pretty sure it's because they have more space.

The Question: I have 5 small PPs and 3 large PPs how many of them can I comfortably keep in my 24 gal tote? I know PPs are better with overcrowding, but of course that is not ideal. How many can I comfortable fit in my tote?

Crabitat Pics:

Last edited by biancaalexis on Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
5 Hermies | Lover of Totes | DIY envisionist

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Crabitat Tote

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:29 pm

Welcome back! I remember your previous tank!

Actually, Pps can tolerate some overcrowding, but it is not recommended. I personally would say you are still very overcrowded. I'm honestly not familiar with totes, but I don't see how it would differ much from aquarium size. Also, I just want to make sure your lid locks - those hermits are strong :)

I'm not sure how you are doing it - but I wouldn't recommend wine for the fungus gnats in your other tank. That could have a bad ending if your crabs got ahold of it. I prefer double sided tape hanging to the very top of the crabitat where the crabs can't get it.

Good luck!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
biancaalexis

Re: Crabitat Tote

Post by biancaalexis » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:19 am

GotButterflies wrote:Welcome back! I remember your previous tank!

Actually, Pps can tolerate some overcrowding, but it is not recommended. I personally would say you are still very overcrowded. I'm honestly not familiar with totes, but I don't see how it would differ much from aquarium size. Also, I just want to make sure your lid locks - those hermits are strong :)

I'm not sure how you are doing it - but I wouldn't recommend wine for the fungus gnats in your other tank. That could have a bad ending if your crabs got ahold of it. I prefer double sided tape hanging to the very top of the crabitat where the crabs can't get it.

Good luck!
Thank you for the advice! I think I'm going to keep them in there for a few months - until I can save up to buy a bigger tote, which are preferable to me since I am in university. I don't think the volume differs much from aquariums as you said :) But the lid definitely locks -I don't want any escapies - sometimes it's hard for me to even open it lol.

Basically for the fruit flies (not fungus knats) I moved my hermit crabs out of the infested tank and I put a small container of wine and dish soap (just a drop). The flies are attracted to the wine, and the dish soap basically drowns them. Previously I only had 3 crabs in the tote and 5 teenies to small in a ten gallon, and I was gonna move them to the tote as they grew and gradually increase the size of the tote.

I basically had to put another cup of wine in my bedroom too because the flies are EVERYWHERE. Since I moved the crabs to the tote. Took out some food (I still have two molters) they fly problem is almost done, but as a precaution I'm waiting for my molters so that I can move them as well.

My mom thought maybe there were flies because a crab died, but there is no smell, so I'm pretty sure the crabs burried some fruit in the substrate. I'm going to replace the substrate once my molter are up and I think I'm going to connect my tote to the 10 gal using PVC.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:53 pm

biancaalexis wrote:

Good luck!
Thank you for the advice! I think I'm going to keep them in there for a few months - until I can save up to buy a bigger tote, which are preferable to me since I am in university. I don't think the volume differs much from aquariums as you said :) But the lid definitely locks -I don't want any escapies - sometimes it's hard for me to even open it lol.
Basically for the fruit flies (not fungus knats) I moved my hermit crabs out of the infested tank and I put a small container of wine and dish soap (just a drop). The flies are attracted to the wine, and the dish soap basically drowns them. Previously I only had 3 crabs in the tote and 5 teenies to small in a ten gallon, and I was gonna move them to the tote as they grew and gradually increase the size of the tote.

I basically had to put another cup of wine in my bedroom too because the flies are EVERYWHERE. Since I moved the crabs to the tote. Took out some food (I still have two molters) they fly problem is almost done, but as a precaution I'm waiting for my molters so that I can move them as well.

My mom thought maybe there were flies because a crab died, but there is no smell, so I'm pretty sure the crabs burried some fruit in the substrate. I'm going to replace the substrate once my molter are up and I think I'm going to connect my tote to the 10 gal using PVC.
Yw!

Are the two molters where the wine is? What if they come up at night? I would be concerned about that. You would be safer to use vinegar. I totally understand what you are going through!! I used organic soil for my houseplants and got fungus gnats. They really aren't much different than fruit flies. They lay eggs in the soil. It was terrible!! I actually ended up ordering H. Miles mites to take care of them, and I also did the double sided tape sticking up from my plants. I use vinegar to clean my house - I am very concerned about the environment ;) - and when I cleaned, those buggers wouldn't leave me alone! I will post a link here: https://www.amazon.com/Safer-Houseplant ... ngus+gnats The yellow coloring attracts them. Don't water your plants - if you have any. Take a couple of these - hang them at the top of your tank - they will catch them. You can also buy a version of this (that is double sided - that tape version is not, it is only one sided, which would be better for you, but you would have to cut it to size here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/Hafer-Dual-Stick ... 0RQT4GAXEM
Good luck! Also, using dry foods vs moist food in the crabitat helps as well. (remove food when hermits not eating)

As far as tote size - I get it for the space - and hey - if it's working with no problems - that's great! If you start having issues, you know what to correct ;) Good luck in college! School is important! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
biancaalexis

Crabitat Tote

Post by biancaalexis » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:09 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
biancaalexis wrote:

Good luck!

Yw!

Are the two molters where the wine is? What if they come up at night? I would be concerned about that. You would be safer to use vinegar. I totally understand what you are going through!! I used organic soil for my houseplants and got fungus gnats. They really aren't much different than fruit flies. They lay eggs in the soil. It was terrible!! I actually ended up ordering H. Miles mites to take care of them, and I also did the double sided tape sticking up from my plants. I use vinegar to clean my house - I am very concerned about the environment ;) - and when I cleaned, those buggers wouldn't leave me alone! I will post a link here: https://www.amazon.com/Safer-Houseplant ... ngus+gnats The yellow coloring attracts them. Don't water your plants - if you have any. Take a couple of these - hang them at the top of your tank - they will catch them. You can also buy a version of this (that is double sided - that tape version is not, it is only one sided, which would be better for you, but you would have to cut it to size here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/Hafer-Dual-Stick ... 0RQT4GAXEM
Good luck! Also, using dry foods vs moist food in the crabitat helps as well. (remove food when hermits not eating)

As far as tote size - I get it for the space - and hey - if it's working with no problems - that's great! If you start having issues, you know what to correct ;) Good luck in college! School is important! :)
You're right, so I moved the wine to the outside of the tank, and put a separate container for vinegar inside the tank since the wine also works well for the flies flying around my room, and grabbed some fly tape and added to the lid. Everyday I wake up and dump the wine and everyday there's more of them! I can't wait to I can take the substrate and sell the tank for another tote!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:39 pm

Good luck!!