Substrate consistency.

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Bristolallyn

Substrate consistency.

Post by Bristolallyn » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:33 pm

I have 7 medium-sized hermit crabs in a 50 gallon tank with about 8 inches worth of a combination (eco-earth, sand) substrate. I upgraded the crabitat from a 10 gallon to this one about a month and a week ago. I've had three hermit crabs for almost a year and four of them for about a month.

When checking out the consistency of the substrate earlier, I noticed that it has lost its sand castle consistency and is more on the crumbling side; it still sticks together slightly but not as much as when it was first set up. I have four hermit crabs currently buried and I'm worried that the substrate may not be working for them to tunnel. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about how I could moisten the substrate without disturbing the possibly molting crabs?

Thank you.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Substrate consistency.

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:48 pm

Spray it down evenly and so long as your lid has a good seal to hold in the humidity it will even out the moisture in your sub. You might have to do it a few times, and wait a couple days in between. You don't want to end up overwetting it!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Giner13

Re: Substrate consistency.

Post by Giner13 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:49 pm

All I can think of is misting....I know someone else will chime in too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk