How do you keep your tank humid?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Jellybean!

Post by Jellybean! » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:05 pm

Hi guys! I am interested in setting up my tanks differently to keep them more humid. I was wondering what you all have found to best work for your tanks? I have a 30gallon tall tank and a 20 gallon long that each have two tupperware pools, a moss pit, plexiglass lids and daily spraying to help with humidity. However, it's hard to keep up the humidity this way. I am really interested in moving things around and adding a waterfall, or bubbler of some sorts to help with the humidity levels. However, I'm not sure these are the best options for my tank. I read on the humidity care sheet that the bubbler can sometimes have the opposite affect if your pools are not wide enough. How wide should they be? I'll attach some pics of my tat. Please let me know what your opinion on my best option would be! Thank you so much! Also wanted to add that I use a 75w infrared heat lamp for keeping the temps up which keeps about 78-80F perfectly - just having problems with the humidity! :(
The 20 gallon:

The pool's up close in the 20g

The 30 gallon:

Pool up close with Shona taking a dip lol

The pools are all this size:

The pools are deep enough to cover my large crabs entirely. Also my humidity gauge/thermometer are the cheap kind, but they are calibrated correctly.
14 PPs
Follow my hermie instagram account: jellyhermies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: How do you keep your tank humid?

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:14 pm

Swapping to a UTH would probably stabilize the humidity without having to change anything. Lower humidity and more spraying/adding water pretty much goes hand in hand with heat lamps. Putting the moss pit or a shallow wide dish of water directly under the light can help slow the process, but those would still need daily upkeep.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:07 pm

I have a screen top lid that's wrapped in Saran Wrap that helps. I also have 2 moss pits.

I know others in the group use bubblers in their pools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robinwhiskers

Post by robinwhiskers » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:05 pm

I have a screen top half wrapped in saran wrap. I keep a towel over 3/4 of the tank that I will dampen if needed. I spray down my substrate, keep the water bowls full as usual, and if needed to I'd use moss or an extra water bowl to boost humidity.
Rest in peace, Brigadier (adopted on 9/21/15)
Rest in peace, Lola (9/21/15) (adopted on 9/21/15)
Rest in peace, Harley (adopted on 4/29/16)
Rest in peace, Acuff (adopted in 5/20)

Freckles24

Post by Freckles24 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:11 pm

I kept having low humidity and I couldn't figure out what was up. I finally realized it would drop to below 60 when the ceiling fan was on (the tank is in my room). I don't usually turn the fan on but my boyfriend does sometimes. As soon as he leaves I turn it off and mist the tank. I'm not sure if this is a problem for you or not but it's worth bringing up.

4 PPs and a dog
Crabbing since Jan '17

AndyCrabby

Post by AndyCrabby » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:24 pm

I added more EE to my substrate. Before I had the recommended mix of 5:1 sand to EE. now it's more half sand half EE and now my humidity never drops below 80. Also I keep a spray bottle from the dollar store full of decholrinated water if I ever feel like it needs an extra boost. I know other grabbers do just EE and say it's fine but I think the crabs appreciate the sand lol.

daws409

Post by daws409 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:36 pm

Lights are known to zap humidity. I too would suggest switching to an uth. These are known to keep temps more stable and can be safely insulated... http://Www.reptilebasics.com or http://www.beanfarm.com You'll want the largest that will cover the back glass and be placed ABOVE the sub.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:40 pm

I have 11-12" of sub (has settled since moving tanks) mixed to sandcastle consistency at about a 5:1 ratio with a brick of EE scattered on top.

I use large reusable plastic dishes (I believe they are 1.5 quarts) for my pools. I no longer use a bubbler.

I have an ultratherm on the back of the tank insulated with foil.

55 gallon with sealed lid.

2 lamps with LED lightbulbs in them (they do not put off heat).

Temps are usually 79-83°F depending on day or night, humidity is always above 80 unless I open the lid to clean.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Jellybean!

Post by Jellybean! » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:35 pm

soilentgringa wrote:I have 11-12" of sub (has settled since moving tanks) mixed to sandcastle consistency at about a 5:1 ratio with a brick of EE scattered on top.

I use large reusable plastic dishes (I believe they are 1.5 quarts) for my pools. I no longer use a bubbler.

Temps are usually 79-83°F depending on day or night, humidity is always above 80 unless I open the lid to clean.

Thank you! Can I ask why you stopped using a bubbler? I don't know why I am stuck on the idea of a bubbler lol. If it's safe and raises the humidity - I might have to get one!
14 PPs

Topic author
Jellybean!

Post by Jellybean! » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:37 pm

Thank you for all the advice everyone. I think I will try getting a UTH. I had one before in my 55gallon a long time ago and it ended up burning a hole through the plastic so I have been afraid to use them. How long do you all who use UTH's have them last for?

Freckles- that is very interesting about the fan! I don't have one in my room, but good to keep in mind for when I move. Thanks!

ETA: I had the UTH under the tank - is that maybe why it got a hole? The tank was lifted off the ground but the heater was encased a little. I will def. put it on the side now.
14 PPs

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:42 pm

My oldest ones are maybe going on four. I've had older ones come with adoptions though that are still going strong.

If the heaters are in any way encased they will overheat. They need to be able to cool off on one side. I don't really insulate any of mine because I've never needed a heat boost.

I have.... 14 uths of various brands in the house and the only trouble I've had is getting them to run cool enough for my reptiles to safely bask on. (130 degree surface temps are not safe. I only need it to be 90!)

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:39 pm

Jellybean! wrote:
soilentgringa wrote:I have 11-12" of sub (has settled since moving tanks) mixed to sandcastle consistency at about a 5:1 ratio with a brick of EE scattered on top.

Thank you! Can I ask why you stopped using a bubbler? I don't know why I am stuck on the idea of a bubbler lol. If it's safe and raises the humidity - I might have to get one!
Initially it was because I needed the air pump for an emergency marine crab rescue and the tanks were too far apart to split the tubing.

I got a bacterial bloom from oversaturation due to the spray last year and since my humidity is consistently above 80% I don't really need them. I'll probably reconsider when I get a larger tank but I've had stable conditions for a long time now without them.

They aren't always necessary, at any rate.

Topic author
Jellybean!

Post by Jellybean! » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:01 pm

wodesorel wrote:My oldest ones are maybe going on four. I've had older ones come with adoptions though that are still going strong.

If the heaters are in any way encased they will overheat. They need to be able to cool off on one side. I don't really insulate any of mine because I've never needed a heat boost.

I have.... 14 uths of various brands in the house and the only trouble I've had is getting them to run cool enough for my reptiles to safely bask on. (130 degree surface temps are not safe. I only need it to be 90!)
Ah, that makes sense then for why mine overheated. What brand would you recommend? I remember the crabs really liked sitting on the sand above the heater which made it really easy to find them all! Lol
14 PPs

Topic author
Jellybean!

Post by Jellybean! » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:02 pm

soilentgringa wrote:
Jellybean! wrote:

Initially it was because I needed the air pump for an emergency marine crab rescue and the tanks were too far apart to split the tubing.

I got a bacterial bloom from oversaturation due to the spray last year and since my humidity is consistently above 80% I don't really need them. I'll probably reconsider when I get a larger tank but I've had stable conditions for a long time now without them.

They aren't always necessary, at any rate.

Gotcha! I think I'll go ahead a try one and see how it affects the humidity. My sister said she has an extra one from her fish, so I'll just have to clean it real quick! Thanks!
14 PPs

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:13 pm

Ultratherms are good. They keep an even heat and they run really warm so heating an entire tank is child's play.

I also like Flukers, but they cost just as much if not more than ultratherms, so they're really only worth it if you can find them on sale or if you can't order online for some reason. (They used to be manufactured in the EU (possibly by ultratherm?) until a few years ago, and then they started being made in China.) I don't see much of a difference between them and the ultratherms, honestly.

For a hot spot for reptiles, I much prefer the smaller pads like zoomed and zilla. They run at a much cooler temp and aren't as likely to overheat - which means they would do zilch for warming an entire area like a crab tank. lol I also really like the old Fukers that were made in the EU, those things are a dream for herps as they run steady and cooler. I picked up a bunch on sale at Petco a couple years ago and the boxes had to be have been a decade old. Wish I had bought more! I think I actually have one of those on my bedroom 10 gallon crab tank, but I may have scavenged it for one of the snakes and swapped it for a new one since it didn't matter if it ran hotter.