Newbie question about general setup for first timer

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Brittany41230

Newbie question about general setup for first timer

Post by Brittany41230 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:48 pm

Hello all,

I am a complete newbie, and about to get my daughter a pair of hermits for her 9th birthday in September. I'm doing all the research and shopping I can to make sure these little guys (or gals!) are happy and well cared for.

I *think* we have decided on a 10 gallon tank with UTH and hood for lighting and to lock in the humidity. I have seen some setups with sponges in the pools and some without... is there a reason to sponge or not to sponge? Also, I read that the pools should be deep enough to completely submerge the largest crab, but all the little dishes I find for sale only hold about an inch of water. Would it be ok to bury two small tupperware containers in the sand for them to dip in? What if there is a significant size difference? is it ok for a crab to be completely under water deeper than just over their head/shell?

Also, I see many setups with the upper level corner shower caddys for "moss pits" and "shell shops" but how do the crabs get up and down to these containers? I'm terrified of watching a crab potentially fall and die/crack his shell! Am I being a crazy crab mom already? I know there are nets and things for climbing but I don't want the poor thing to get down in the shower caddy and not be able to get back out.

Lastly, where do you buy your crabs? I don't like the idea of ordering online because of stress of shipping/climate conditions (unless proven reputable and humane), and our local petsmart only has a few every now and then, and If possible I would rather go through a small business than a large retail chain.

Thank you so much!!
Clueless and Crabless (until Sept!)
Brittany

Just Jay

Re: Newbie question about general setup for first timer

Post by Just Jay » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:24 pm

Welcome welcome!
Brittany41230 wrote:Hello all,

I am a complete newbie, and about to get my daughter a pair of hermits for her 9th birthday in September. I'm doing all the research and shopping I can to make sure these little guys (or gals!) are happy and well cared for.

I *think* we have decided on a 10 gallon tank with UTH and hood for lighting and to lock in the humidity. I have seen some setups with sponges in the pools and some without... is there a reason to sponge or not to sponge? Also, I read that the pools should be deep enough to completely submerge the largest crab, but all the little dishes I find for sale only hold about an inch of water. Would it be ok to bury two small tupperware containers in the sand for them to dip in? What if there is a significant size difference? is it ok for a crab to be completely under water deeper than just over their head/shell?
sponges can add 3% or less of a humidity boost. They are mostly a mold risk when wet. I leave mine on the sub and my hermits love the occasional munch. I also keep them on hand for emergencies.
always make sure your largest crab can fully submerge in water. I have two knitter keepers, one big one small. The larger one is dug in a LITTLE bit of the sub with rocks on the bottom then the smaller kritter keeper filed with water in it. This way i can clean and change water without moving the sub. You want to keep in mind digging your bowl in will take up molting room. Along with make sure whatever you use they can get out of. That's my sw. My P'S personally swim more in salt so it's larger. I used the same double containers but tupper wear for the fw.
Also, I see many setups with the upper level corner shower caddys for "moss pits" and "shell shops" but how do the crabs get up and down to these containers? I'm terrified of watching a crab potentially fall and die/crack his shell! Am I being a crazy crab mom already? I know there are nets and things for climbing but I don't want the poor thing to get down in the shower caddy and not be able to get back out.
hermit crabs are huge climbers. I use lots of different options and love changing things up on them. They can be alil clumsy so try to make it simple but don't be surprised if they go out of their way to make it hard. Offering healthy shells and calcium can help give piece of mind to falls.
Lastly, where do you buy your crabs? I don't like the idea of ordering online because of stress of shipping/climate conditions (unless proven reputable and humane), and our local petsmart only has a few every now and then, and If possible I would rather go through a small business than a large retail chain.
I was lucky to get some rescues and sadly did buy two crabs. The four has adoption pages and posts to help you find a needy crab if you prefer.
Thank you so much!!
Clueless and Crabless (until Sept!)
Brittany
Welcome! I replied in bold.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:30 am

Congrats on researching beforehand! It makes it easier on the little guys, you so you know what to expect and easier on the bank account!
Sponges do boost the humidity, but it really depends on placement and size of sponge... abd the tank itself. I've used them in the past, and can raise the humidity more than 3%. However, they just become a bacteria factory so requires more work on your part (you have to dry them thoroughly and microwave for 10 to 30 seconds on high... if slightly wet, they will shrivel up. A baseball sized sponge can shrivel up to the size of a walnut. So its common practise to ditch the sponge, since there are safer and better alternatives... some would go far as saying they bad and must never be added to your tank! They fine as a snack (leave them on the substrate if they are a natural sponge, otherwise turf)...
Many seem to use tupperware containers, so it should be fine. And yes, the crab can be underwater completely. As long as they have ways out, they will be fine.
Crabs are natural climbers, so incorporating pieces of wood, plastic decor, plants, rocks and nets positioned sp they can scramble across into the caddies. Caddies are an excellent way in increasing surface area, and offering clean areas for shells or a moss pit. In the wild, crabs will fall. It can be scarey at first, but you'll get use to it. If worried, positioning caddies so they dont fall on rocks for example would be a wise choice!
I would reccomend adopting if there are any in your area. A lot of the time you can get them for free or for a smaller fund, can sometimes include supplies (weather they are worth it or not, it depends).... plus your not supporting the trade and keep wild populations sustainable for the future, by reducing demand in 'farming' (capturing) wild stock.... i suggest the hca adoptions page and see if any in your area, or posting an add on craigslist or other similar sites.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Brian_T

Post by Brian_T » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:36 am

Doing your home work before hand is a definite plus.

In addition to what Aussie said:
Keep in mind that nearly every commercial product made specifically for hermit crabs are worthless or outright dangerous. When in doubt ask here first

Check out the safe food list and sponsored venders for food.

I would also recommend a glass lid for the tank as opposed to the usual aquarium hood. It will keep the humidity much better, and be more secure to keep your crabs in their tank.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk