Cypress Mulch Bedding

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
crabby33

Cypress Mulch Bedding

Post by crabby33 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:42 am

If you have the recommended play sand and EE mix, could Cypress Mulch Bedding be put on top or could that cause injury to crabs trying to dig down to molt? Some people are leary about adding any kind of sub or changing to a different one but I was just wondering.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cypress Mulch Bedding

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:12 am

I do not recommend it. It can splinter their sentive abdomens. The substrate gets mixed together. Nothing really just stays on top of the substrate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:59 am

Alright, thank you, GotButterflies. That answers my question.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:41 pm

Yw!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:36 pm

It molds. So badly it molds. Tried and failed the mulch layer thinking it would help with humidity but in a layer it just goes blue!

For a while I did have it mixed in to the substrate in small amounts. It's no different than using leaf litter or crushed coral or have real branches in the tank in terms of danger to the crabs. It breaks down very quickly and didn't last long.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram