How do you make brackish water?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
platypuskid2

How do you make brackish water?

Post by platypuskid2 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:49 pm

I'm looking for the ratio of marine salt per gallon to make brackish water for red claw crabs

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: How do you make brackish water?

Post by wodesorel » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:22 pm

I think I used used 2 heaping tablespoons per bucket, which was maybe 2.5 gallons?

For brackish I highly recommend getting a hyDrometer. It measures specific gravity of water and let's you know how salty it really is. Since water evaporates while salt doesn't, it's easy to end up with water that is too salty over time in an aquarium. I think mine was like 8 bucks. You'll have to look I to what red claws like, but usually between 1.005 and 1.010 is safe for brackish species, with middle of the road being 1.008. (Freshwater is around 1.000 and sea water is around 1.023.)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
platypuskid2

Post by platypuskid2 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:24 pm

wodesorel wrote:I think I used used 2 heaping tablespoons per bucket, which was maybe 2.5 gallons?

For brackish I highly recommend getting a hyDrometer. It measures specific gravity of water and let's you know how salty it really is. Since water evaporates while salt doesn't, it's easy to end up with water that is too salty over time in an aquarium. I think mine was like 8 bucks. You'll have to look I to what red claws like, but usually between 1.005 and 1.010 is safe for brackish species, with middle of the road being 1.008. (Freshwater is around 1.000 and sea water is around 1.023.)
I just put their brackish water in a bowl so it shouldn't need to be so complicated but thanks for the mixing advice

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:43 pm

Given that they are brackish and live in water, it does need to be complicated. They should have access to a large body of water that has been cycled like a fish tank. Not doing things the right way is going to shorten their lifespans or outright kill them. Your pets have certain requirements that have to be met whether you can afford it or not. We've been struggling for over a decade and our pets are still the ones to come first, and if we can't provide we either don't get them or find someone who can.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram