Humidity Help

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
crystaljeanne

Humidity Help

Post by crystaljeanne » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:10 am

I can't seem to get the humidity up....I have moist sand and moss....I mist with a spray bottle and have a machine that fogs (not much) I turn on a few times a day.

Any tricks I can use to get it up? Ty
4 kids
4 dogs
3 PP
3 Strawberries
And 1 husband..lol

hermitcrabdc

Re: Humidity Help

Post by hermitcrabdc » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:25 am

What kind of lid do you have? Is it mesh?
Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:06 pm

How much substrate do you have? I have found that when you have more substrate that helps keep humidity up. Please be careful misting & with having a fogger. Both of those can lead to flooding. You can add a glass top to your crabitat. That helps. Air stones help in your pools. If you have mesh tops you can add Saran Wrap, press n seal or ziplock bags taped on to the top to keep humidity in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
crystaljeanne

Post by crystaljeanne » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:31 pm

I don't have a tank....we got 6 on vacation in Florida and they came in those crap plastic containers....we lost 3 on the 12hr drive home. But my local pet store had strawberries so we got 3. But any who...I'm in the process of building them a crabitat....I'm about 1/3 of the way done.
4 kids
4 dogs
3 PP
3 Strawberries
And 1 husband..lol

Topic author
crystaljeanne

Post by crystaljeanne » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:32 pm

4 kids
4 dogs
3 PP
3 Strawberries
And 1 husband..lol

Topic author
crystaljeanne

Post by crystaljeanne » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:33 pm

4 kids
4 dogs
3 PP
3 Strawberries
And 1 husband..lol

mjjluver

Post by mjjluver » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:14 pm

any way to seal the top? tape a garbage bag across it?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:59 pm

Oh wow...okay...hmmm...part of your problem would be the light, and that it appears you don't have a top. The heat lamp will make humidity evaporate. What is this crabitat made of? IMO, Strawberries really need a large crabitat. I personally own 4. I have them in a 75 gallon. They need a lot of room. They don't do well with overcrowding either. Strawberries do need UVB lighting, as well as deep dechlorinated msw pools. They love to swim. It appears as though you don't have a lot of substrate either. Substrate should be a minimum of 6 inches or 3 times the height of your largest crab. Whichever is deeper is what you should do. I personally would try to pick up a tank off of craigslist, offerup, letgo or bookoo. Good luck! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
crystaljeanne

Post by crystaljeanne » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:54 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Oh wow...okay...hmmm...part of your problem would be the light, and that it appears you don't have a top. The heat lamp will make humidity evaporate. What is this crabitat made of? IMO, Strawberries really need a large crabitat. I personally own 4. I have them in a 75 gallon. They need a lot of room. They don't do well with overcrowding either. Strawberries do need UVB lighting, as well as deep dechlorinated msw pools. They love to swim. It appears as though you don't have a lot of substrate either. Substrate should be a minimum of 6 inches or 3 times the height of your largest crab. Whichever is deeper is what you should do. I personally would try to pick up a tank off of craigslist, offerup, letgo or bookoo. Good luck! :)

I'm not sure what you mean by a top....it's completely enclosed? Ty
4 kids
4 dogs
3 PP
3 Strawberries
And 1 husband..lol

Sylah

Post by Sylah » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:47 am

crystaljeanne wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:Oh wow...okay...hmmm...part of your problem would be the light, and that it appears you don't have a top. The heat lamp will make humidity evaporate. What is this crabitat made of? IMO, Strawberries really need a large crabitat. I personally own 4. I have them in a 75 gallon. They need a lot of room. They don't do well with overcrowding either. Strawberries do need UVB lighting, as well as deep dechlorinated msw pools. They love to swim. It appears as though you don't have a lot of substrate either. Substrate should be a minimum of 6 inches or 3 times the height of your largest crab. Whichever is deeper is what you should do. I personally would try to pick up a tank off of craigslist, offerup, letgo or bookoo. Good luck! :)

I'm not sure what you mean by a top....it's completely enclosed? Ty
I think GotButterflies means that you need a lid to offer trapping in some humidity.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:46 pm

It appears like it's open. Is the tank completely enclosed to trap humidity in?

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:10 pm

If u haven't got a regular tank u could use a large Rubbermaid bin with a lid temporarily. I had to evacuate last feb. because of flood warnings and didn't want to leave my crabbies behind in case power was lost and we didn't have to drive far to get out of the flood zone so I thought just better to bring them.I got a rubbermaid tub with a locking lid and filled it with damp sub. Drilled air holes in the top and cut a hole for my light but I think a uth on the side would work too. This worked great for the week they were in it and it kept the humidity in well with daily misting.
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P