UTH Questions & Help

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
piratetoothgir

UTH Questions & Help

Post by piratetoothgir » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:31 am

So recently, I just got my new Ultratherm UTH in the mail. I ordered the 7” x 11” size, and it fits great on my crabitat. I do have some questions though, so that would great if you can answer them.

1) My tank is acrylic, does this affect anything?
2) The tank was originally for fish, and it’s specially made. Can I attach the heater to the side, instead of the back? (this tank has a built-in sump)
3) What can I use for a homemade insulator? Does foil work with tape?

I live in Texas, and it does get very cold in the winter, and we are approaching a cold front, which will cause the room to get dreadfully cold. Later into the winter, we’ll turn on our house heat. I keep my hermit crabs upstairs in my house, but the room it’s in gets cold. I might just have to move them to my room, where it’s warmer.

My main questions were those, but here’s an explanation on my tank.

It’s a System II, with builtin sump in the rear. Because of this, it causes the inside of my tank to bow outward, which makes it smaller around the middle area of the tank. The UTH will fit on the side, but will my thick substrate affect that at all? It’s about 9” on that end, which is supposed to be the hotter end.

On the other end, I have their food dish, but I also need to add their water.

Could you please answer my questions, as I really need help with this new heater!
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: UTH Questions & Help

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:26 am

Hello :) It is okay that your tank is acrylic. You can definitely attach the heater to the side :) Just do not bend the heating elements at all.

You can use foil - shiny side facing the inside of the tank - then cardboard, styrofoam, or foam board. Use tape, packaging tape or duct tape to adhere it :) Multiple layers helps!!

I never cover any of my substrate with my heaters - but that's me. Heaters should go above the substrate imo. Hope that helps.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:24 am

Thanks GB!

Alright, do I layer it like this? Tank - Heater - Cardboard - Foil?

For the substrate, my tank is only 16" tall, and the heater is 17" meaning it's just about an inch taller than the tank. The substrate is about 9" in that end, but I see the temperature has risen to 81.8. Hoping no higher than 83 in this case.

Thanks for the help!
Crabber Since 2016

Crabsalicious

Post by Crabsalicious » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:19 pm

I have been use the ultratherm a few days now, maybe a week? I wrapped a piece of cardboard in foil and taped to to the back and sides of the tank. It's helped a lot, as the temp drops some days. But I notice I'll need more insulation because today my house was 68 degrees and the tank temp dropped to 75 degrees. Its only gotten up to 77 degrees and I think it's bc I need more insulation. Mine is a 10 gallon as well.

I've seen others recommend reflectix for insulating. You can get it at home Depot. Also I've seen bubble wrap and packing foam popcorn things used to create homemade insulation.

Does anyone know if using craft foam sheets (layered over top of the existing cardboard) is ok for insulation, or is it a fire hazard?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:39 am

Yes, they are great! I am insulating mine right now, and the temperature drastically has dropped overnight.
So, I decided to move them to my room where it's warmer.

I'll rearrange the tank again, and put some warmth inside too.
I don't know about the foam, but you can use thick foam board.
Crabber Since 2016

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:55 pm

I visited PetCo today, and dedicated that trip all to my crabs!
Bought some supplies, and necessities for their crabitat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Crabber Since 2016

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:41 am

It stayed warm overnight!
Some crabs ventured up to the moss boxes, and moved around.

Crabber Since 2016

Crabsalicious

Post by Crabsalicious » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:58 am

Fanatic wrote:It stayed warm overnight!
Some crabs ventured up to the moss boxes, and moved around.

Yay! That's awesome! Love your set up. I think I'm going to go to Petco today and get some moss too :)

Ps. Just curious, what size is your tank?

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:00 am

Thanks! I really love it more than I used to.
It's a 26 gallon, with 4 small PP's in there.
Crabber Since 2016

Crabsalicious

Post by Crabsalicious » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:10 am

Fanatic wrote:Thanks! I really love it more than I used to.
It's a 26 gallon, with 4 small PP's in there.
Aww cute! Mine is a 10 gallon, so trying to figure out how I can for Everything until I can upgrade. I like yours Image

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:15 am

It's really cute, and I love my crabs!
My crabs' names are: Rocky, Papaya, Stella, and Mr. P, but I also like to call him "Little E" even though he's not an Ecuadorian.
Crabber Since 2016

Crabsalicious

Post by Crabsalicious » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:56 am

Fanatic wrote:It's really cute, and I love my crabs!
My crabs' names are: Rocky, Papaya, Stella, and Mr. P, but I also like to call him "Little E" even though he's not an Ecuadorian.
Those are cool names! I haven't named mine yet Image

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:46 am

GotButterflies wrote:Hello :) It is okay that your tank is acrylic. You can definitely attach the heater to the side :) Just do not bend the heating elements at all.

You can use foil - shiny side facing the inside of the tank - then cardboard, styrofoam, or foam board. Use tape, packaging tape or duct tape to adhere it :) Multiple layers helps!!

I never cover any of my substrate with my heaters - but that's me. Heaters should go above the substrate imo. Hope that helps.
I'm narrowing down my heating problem. Lol. On another thread someone (possibly you?) Recommended ultratherm uth from beanfarm. And said for my 40gal tank a 24-46 watt will be good. The only one from beanfarm that will fit across my tank, was a 6x35, 23watt. It will leave a couple of inches bare at the top. But it's only 23 watts. There's a zoomed reptitherm, 24 watts, at petsmart. I don't know the measurements. Then there's zilla large, 8x18, which only covers half the back but it's 24 watts.
What is a crabby mother to do? I would like to avoid using a heat lamp all together.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

UTH Questions & Help

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:03 pm

I love the ones from http://www.reptilebasics.com or http://www.beanfarm.com Image I don’t care for the zoomed heaters-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:59 pm

GotButterflies wrote:I love the ones from http://www.reptilebasics.com or http://www.beanfarm.com Image I don’t care for the zoomed heaters-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really didn't want to wait for it to be shiiped. I just boight the zilla 24 watt. We'll see.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi