Safely installing fogger

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
NerdyLisa

Safely installing fogger

Post by NerdyLisa » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:36 am

It has been about 6 years since I had hermit crabs. I have decided to get back into it. When I had my last set up I had a homemade humidifier that was sufficient. Since then I have moved to a drier climate (Utah) and am setting up a bigger tank this time so I thought I might need a commercial fogger. After looking at it though It has an electrical cord that runs in the tank (duh Lisa how did you think it would work). Worried that future hermmies might pinch or bite that cord and get hurt. If you use one of these how do you protect your crabs from the electrical?

jclee

Re: Safely installing fogger

Post by jclee » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:51 pm

I had this problem with a submersible pump that I had in one of the pools for some time. When I realized that their claws were wearing away at the wires' plastic coating, I used electrical tape around the wire. That seemed to work pretty well, and you can always redo it if and when their claws start to make their way through that.
You can see my critters here:
https://www.instagram.com/profjcscritters/

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:32 am

You can DIY a fogger that has nothing going in the tank but a tube.

I'd suggest bubblers in the pools first before going the fogger route if you can.

Never leave anything with exposed wiring in a crab tank, taped or not. This is both a shock and fire hazard.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:05 pm

There are humidifiers that sit outside the tank and just have the tube going inside.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
NerdyLisa

Post by NerdyLisa » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:22 pm

soilentgringa wrote:You can DIY a fogger that has nothing going in the tank but a tube.

I'd suggest bubblers in the pools first before going the fogger route if you can.

Never leave anything with exposed wiring in a crab tank, taped or not. This is both a shock and fire hazard.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
I had a diy one in my 10 gallon, but it was never enough moisture, and that was while living in a more damp climate, so I assumed now that I have moved up to a 20 and am living in a much drier area I would need something more.

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:20 am

U mean a diy humidifier like where u put bubble stones in a jar of water? That didn't work for me either! U can use the kind of humidifier that people use when they are sick with a hose that runs into the tank. I have one of these I made myself buy cutting a hole in the directional spout of a Vicks cool mist humidifier and sticking a length of plastic hose from home depot into it and putting the other end in the tank. It was super cheap (got it brand new but second hand $5) and already had the hose laying around. The kind u buy at the pet store are expensive And this works exactaly the same way but it needs to be run on a timer and u have to be really careful that to much condensation doesn't build up in the hose and drip into the tank and cause flooding. And u must use the ultra sonic cool mist kind. The steam heat kind get really hot and my crabs liked to bask right under where the fog inlet was. I haven't used it long term. Only for a couple days after I made it because I got paranoid about flooding. I already had a bout with bacterial bloom from a leaky water pool and decided not to risk it. It was really just kind of an experiment. But my dual bubbler pools work great and keep my 50g at a constant 85 to 90% so that is what I suggest u use and it's cheap aswell. U may also find that a larger tank much easier to maintain proper conditions. I could not keep the humidity stable in my 10g either.
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P