How Hot is too Hot?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
wrswrs2

How Hot is too Hot?

Post by wrswrs2 » Tue May 15, 2018 5:37 pm

As the title says... How Hot is too Hot?
I have my crabs in my den, but over the summer it gets SO HOT in the room that I am afraid the crabs tank would over heat, but before I move them, I am curious what the How Hot is too Hot? temp would be for PPs and some Es!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: How Hot is too Hot?

Post by wodesorel » Tue May 15, 2018 5:40 pm

When I had mine in the living room the tank would sometimes hit 90-95, but it was never a sustained temp. It would drop overnight, and our heatwaves never last more than a week at a time.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
wrswrs2

Post by wrswrs2 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:02 pm

The room I keep them in gets super hot in the summer so I want to move them to a different tank for the summer in a cooler room.
I just have some molting and want them to hurry up and come back up haha. I just hope none of the others decide to molt between now and then... haha

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri May 18, 2018 11:08 pm

Last summer one of my tanks climbed to 88 and I freaked out!! I know it gets hotter in the wild - but in the wild they can find cooler places to escape to. Now I have thermostat on that tank. I don't let my tanks get over 86. To each's own :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon May 21, 2018 9:18 pm

I noticed that when the temperature in our thanks reach to the low to mid 90's they tend to dig down into the substrate until the temperatures fall into the upper 80's. Without having several thermometers in the tank its tough to actually pinpoint accurate temperatures since it will fluctuate hotter near the heater and cooler further away. We keep our thermometers as far from the heat pads as possible to get the low reading and a few inches above our largest crabs reach. They like to climb the wires and across the tops of the tank. :) If our low hits 91 i think i's safe to bet the tank in the warm area can reach up to 95. I'm assuming they are digging down to get to a little cooler area. Pretty much how in the summer your attic will be hot and basement typically will be much cooler. We just purchased a temperature controller on Amazon for around $18 to control the maximum level to see if that changes their activities and heat levels. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E9 ... UTF8&psc=1
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities