Water Dish placement

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
mutsuko

Water Dish placement

Post by mutsuko » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:32 pm

I am moving my hermit from a 10 gallon to a 37 gallon and one issues I am worried about is the water. I haven't seen this posted yet but I have come across different pieces of advice on different posts that leaves me with the big question... "what the heck am I gonna do for my water dish" My tank dimensions are roughly 30 in x 12 in x 18 in. Longish and tall ish, my plans for the set up were going to be, saltwater pool using acrylic and silicone, 8" of substrate, and a freshwater Tupperware dish. Reading some of the posts, the pool using acrylic and silicone comes off as a bad idea, lots of room for error and could be a flooding disaster. Scrap that idea. What do you guys do for water pools in larger tanks?

Hermiesguardian

Re: Water Dish placement

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:41 pm

Tupperware containers. Doubled up for easy removal for cleaning. The bottom holds the shape while you lift out the top. Just in case there's a molter beneath it.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
mutsuko

Post by mutsuko » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:43 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:Tupperware containers. Doubled up for easy removal for cleaning. The bottom holds the shape while you lift out the top. Just in case there's a molter beneath it.
What about putting Tupperware on a shelf? so the hermies don't knock it over if they dig under it? or is there a chance they will be trapped forever? I like to think they would be smart enough to dig around until they come up but that's a worry for me

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:31 pm

mutsuko wrote:
Hermiesguardian wrote:Tupperware containers. Doubled up for easy removal for cleaning. The bottom holds the shape while you lift out the top. Just in case there's a molter beneath it.
What about putting Tupperware on a shelf? so the hermies don't knock it over if they dig under it? or is there a chance they will be trapped forever? I like to think they would be smart enough to dig around until they come up but that's a worry for me
I would think it's possible for them to tip over the container if it's just sitting on a shelf. Then you would have flooding.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:59 pm

I have a 37 gallon tank and just use tupperware containers for my pools. The crabs have never knocked them over, and I think that the weight of the stairs I use (shells piled on top of each other) and the weight of water makes it harder to flip. If you look around at the store you can find "deep dish" tupperware containers which are larger than your average ones. The only thing I would keep in mind is how much floor space you are using.

Edit: For clarification, my bowls are buried in the substrate.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:44 pm

These are the plastic (BPA free) tubs we have in our 75 gallon. We found these at Walmart three for around $3.50. They each hold 2 quarts (1/2 gallon)! You can see how the 2 tubs per water type work. You can find many sizes to fit your needs.ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities